Things of the Walmart.

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by LEXI, May 13, 2018.

1. LEXI

LEXI Well-Known Member

NEA
  2. LEXI

LEXI Well-Known Member

NEA
    Arkansas shade tree. Must be for south Arkansas

Luv2hunt and JB Weld like this.

3. Allenn

Allenn Well-Known Member

Why in the heck would anyone Plant a pine for a shade tree.

4. Punkinseed

Punkinseed Well-Known Member

Se ark
    So you can have shade in the winter.

5. outdoorjunkiebj

outdoorjunkiebj Well-Known Member

Just a different way to market something that's been around for a long time, people are just stupid enough to buy stuff like that, because it says SHADE TREE.

R6mm, LEXI and Allenn like this.
  6. Allenn

Allenn Well-Known Member

Ahhh didnt think about the whole evergreen thing. Smart I’m going to cut my hardwoods down and Plant a few. Most the ones I see planted are Jan and feb though.

R6mm and LEXI like this.
  7. LEXI

LEXI Well-Known Member

NEA
    Kinda like putting lipstick on a pig. It’s still a pig

8. jackiereed

jackiereed Well-Known Member

Hazen
    I was scared to open this one. I thought y'all might be swapping pics of disappearing scooters .

heacret, R6mm, N8HARNER and 2 others like this.
  9. JB Weld

JB Weld Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I love me some pine trees, providing shade, in Oct / Nov when I am on a deerstand!

R6mm, LEXI and Mr. Chitlin like this.
  10. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

You can get all you want in the highway ditches in S. Arkansas, free!

11. Chasegal88

Chasegal88 Well-Known Member

Should be labeled “turn your car and dash yellow and head swell tree”

N8HARNER and Allenn like this.
  12. LEXI

LEXI Well-Known Member

NEA
    Should be called the overtime tree for all the power lines it takes down in ice storms.

N8HARNER likes this.
  13. Chasegal88

Or wind, rain, or blue bird days...

LEXI likes this.
  14. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

When the tornado hit us in 2008 it got 10 big trees out of my yard. Ash, walnut, cypress and oak all went down. 6 big pines, 2 ash and a cypress were still standing. Several friends that work for Green Bay came over and cut up all the downed trees and they cut a while and then look up and ask, "How are them #$@& pine trees still standing, they are always the first to go."
    My dad built his house in a big pine thicket so he wouldn't have to keep up and mow a yard, worked really well for 40 years, until the tornado. 63 huge pines all went down, some on the house. My parents are both gone now and a nephew of mine now owns the house, but he has to mow grass in the yard.

15. They should get tee shirts for all their employees that say;

HAPPY WORKER!
    NO, REALLY I AM...​

16. Whistling wings

Whistling wings Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the Arkansas shade tree.I have 4 or 5 in my yard.All they're good for is making piles of needles in my yard and hurting my back bending over and raking them.

LEXI and Allenn like this.
  17. Gford

Gford Select Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winne

Bismarck
    New marketing strategy! "Grow your own pine needle mulch" tree.

18. R6mm

R6mm Well-Known Member

N. Texas
    Pine tree roots go down much deeper than most hardwoods. Pines usually snap off much easier above ground, but are usually harder to uproot.

N8HARNER likes this.
  19. Chasegal88

I’ve seen many trees that have taken down power lines. Pine are the absolute worst, sweet gum next, usually when it’s an oak it’s uprooted like you said, and they’re usually huge mature ones that usually result in broke poles and a few spans of wire down. But pine trees have made me a lot of money.

ChadL, quackandmild, N8HARNER and 2 others like this.
  20. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

When I dug up the stumps out of my yard with a backhoe, the worse ones were the 3 cypress trees. They didn't have one big main tap root, but dozens of 3 to 6 inch thick roots running every direction, a lot of them went straight down. I dug and pulled and twisted and twisted and could not break them. It was like trying to twist off ropes. I finally dung out a big hole around them, tied a chain to them to pull straight up and then crawled in the hole with a chainsaw and cut them off. The ash, walnut and oak were no trouble, but each cypress took longer than the other 7 trees that blew down did combined.