They Are Going to Eat This? Really?

Discussion in 'Habitat Management' started by SwampCat, Dec 20, 2012.

1. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

This is a pic of my winter greens planting after the last freeze. It looks like a slimy mess. Are they really going to eat that. Everyone says they hit it after it gets cold and sugars build. Well, it got cold - let's see them eat it. I can not see one leaf a deer or hog fed on.
    [​IMG]

2. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

Nothing like a little wilted lettuce.

3. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

I plant greens for us to eat in my food plot every year, but I've never been impressed with their attractiveness to deer in my area. They are nibbling some on the kale I planted.

4. SwampCat

Me and my wife have been hitting them pretty hard, also. I did pick a bunch of turnip roots yesterday - so I guess it is not a total waste.

5. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

jonesboro
    What are those? I planted a bunch of turnips and the deer are tearing 'em up now. They didn't wilt like that either and we had temps in the teens last week. I took some pictures of my plots, but can't find the dang card now.:smack:

6. dkhern

dkhern Well-Known Member

its stuff like turnips that get sweet after frost sometimes it takes a while to find or learn what turnips are then they will take off

7. GotPork

GotPork Select Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>The Naked Retrei

Maybe the hogs will like em!!:smack:

8. Manybeards

Manybeards Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20

Kinda looks like spagetti

9. MSWING12

MSWING12 Well-Known Member

My turnips were completely mowed down almost overnight the after the cold snap during the first mz season (late Oct. had some heavy frosts). They went from ignoring them to completely eliminating them. They left NOTHING. It wasn't a huge plot of them by any means, but they didn't grow back at all, so overall it was a waste of time for hunting purposes. It was a fun experiment, but overall the regular food plot outperformed the turnips for hunting by 100%.

I have pics on my IPhone, I'll try to add some later.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  10. Mix them with wheat and oats and they'll get 'em.

11. SwampCat

I can't remember what all was in the bag but I know it was two types of turnips and rape - something else too - maybe kale. There are a lot of turnip roots almost two inches in diameter sticking half out of the ground - will they eat those? Like I said - deer or hog never touched them.

12. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

jonesboro
    Yeah, they'll eat 'em. May take 'em a while to figure out they can though. I can't find my card with my turnip pics on it, but if I do I'll post pics of the turnips they're munching on. Them dudes are as big as baseballs and softballs!

13. gregrn43

gregrn43 Well-Known Member

NEA
    I plant greens and rape every year and I have never had mine do that before. Right now deer are hammering on mine, their not eating the turnips just yet but they will. That looks like a mess, whew.

14. sleepy

sleepy Well-Known Member

Been looking at your pic a lot. I have no idea how the plot got like that. First thought a pack of hogs rolled on it. But really not sure.

15. SwampCat

20 degree weather did that. Even the hogs won't touch it.

16. MSWING12

Before and after. It was just a small experiment, but they wiped it out before Nov.

Photos won't load today for some reason.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  17. MSWING12

Trying again

Oh well

18. Stop urinating in your turnips....:fit:

19. SwampCat

Bad dry here - had to water them somehow!