Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Member<br>2008 Deerhunting Contest Team Winner
340 Posts
It does put out a kinda stinky sweet smell. Last year i got ambushed. I was wearing mesh turkey hunting gloves thinking that they couldn't get through them, so i didnt bother swatting them away when they landed. I ended up having 35 bites on one had and 30 on the other. The next few days were miserable. I bought a thermocell. I still had a few that buzzed around, but they didn't just hang around like before. Well worth it for me.

· Registered
11,693 Posts
I've not used mine yet, but my wife and daughter used it on a girl scout trip last year. They put it on top of their tent when it got dark. The other scouts averaged @50 bites the next morning and my wifes tent didn't have a single bite among the 6 in the tent. That's enough for me.

· Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,047 Posts
I use mine whenever I hunt the slough- I have had small 8 points within 10 ft of the blind and never smell it, I have shot 2 bobcats that were even closer and neither smelled it? Better than feeding them skeeters!

· Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
6,047 Posts
Scratch this after this morning of scouting. It looks like I have 2 choices either use a therma cell or wait until it gets colder :smack:
Aint that the truth!! They have never been as bad as I saw them last weekend at camp,, they flogged you 24/7, I think I am going to go get another one just to have a chance!

· Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
Aint that the truth!! They have never been as bad as I saw them last weekend at camp,, they flogged you 24/7, I think I am going to go get another one just to have a chance!
This year is going to be totally different for me. I think I'm going to focus on doe's (in areas I typically dont hunt) with my thermacells, until it gets cold. Then about muzzle loading season it should be on :up:

· Premium Member
18,386 Posts
Can't add anything, but to just say again, the deer aren't going to be spooked by the smell. I usually lay mine on the back side of the foot part of my stands. That way all the goodness is coming right up over me. I've used mine nights with no bites when at the same time buddies had to leave the woods over mosquitos.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
I use a thermacell, works great. But what about the hike into the woods, setting up the stand, getting the trermacell started. By then you would be drained of your blood if you were hunting Big Lake befor the cold weather hits. Is there a spray that works in extreme skeeter areas like Big Lake that will not run off the deer?

· Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne
3,276 Posts
I went out yesterday evening and this morning.Skeeter spray didnt help at all.Thermacell was only thing that would keep them off me.Seems to work fine if you are moving slow.I thought at one time that maybe they were letting up so I turned it off about 15 min later they about sucked me dry.Needless to say it stayed on the rest of the time I was out.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.