The Ultimate Rimfire rifle

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by cmf88, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Mountain Oyster

Mountain Oyster Well-Known Member

I know the Remington 597’s don’t get much love but my 597 .22 mag is very accurate. I wish Remington would make better mags though.

buck720 likes this.
  2. Biggars

Biggars Well-Known Member

You can go to keepshooting dot com and get metal mags for the 22lr, not sure about the magnum
    They work.
    I like my 22lr 597. Needs a better scope and yah its a cheap rifle but mines been good. Out of maybe 1000 rounds shot only a few jams and most of them were with red box federal ammo. Has shot flawlessly with cci standard velocity.
    Decent accuracy, may be real good if I put a good scope on it.
    Maybe not as good as a fancy bolt action but is as good as thr 10/22 i had if not better imho.

buck720 likes this.

3. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

Ultimate would probably be a Cooper, Anchutz, or Vudoo. I have a CZ 452 American that shoots good and was in my price range at the time.

mwe likes this.
  4. oldcountry

oldcountry Well-Known Member

CABOT
    I have a Nylon 66 and I absolutely love it

5. reb henderson

reb henderson Well-Known Member

Anschutz 1416, Ruger 77/22, Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle and Remington 541s. All extremely accurate 22s.

6. RAZ

RAZ Well-Known Member

Kimber Classic hasn’t been mentioned. Sexy little rifle that’ll shuck the corn!!!!

reb henderson and WillyB71 like this.
  7. ksoden

ksoden Well-Known Member

this is becoming my favorite rifle = Ruger m77/22 converted to 17 mach 2.

Attached Files:

Mr. Rusty and Mr. Chitlin like this.
  8. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

You have any work done to the trigger?

9. ksoden

ksoden Well-Known Member

it was pretty good when i got it, but i put a volquartsen trigger kit (sear & spring) in it and it cleaned it up quite a bit, put it about 2 lbs.

10. deer14

deer14 Well-Known Member

Me too Doc ! Had mine since was young . I usually put shorts through it . Like ta be as quiet as possible .

11. clover patch

clover patch Member<br>2012 Turkey Hunting Contest Winner<br>20

For the money and tack driving accuracy the Savage A22 22magnum has been as accurate rifle I’ve shot in a few years.

buck720 likes this.
  12. RAZ

RAZ Well-Known Member

308B9A46-802D-4A1D-961A-853DEA97F0FC.jpeg 308B9A46-802D-4A1D-961A-853DEA97F0FC.jpeg Run this one thru the warsh this morning. Win 69a. Buttery smooth action, shiny bore, good trigger....it checks all the boxes. All original. Peep sight a little different than a T36 or 6x18 Loopy but nonetheless it’s fun to play around with.

Attached Files:

DonniePowell and reb henderson like this.
  13. reb henderson

reb henderson Well-Known Member

Nice 69A. They were good rifles.

14. VarmintAttorney

VarmintAttorney Well-Known Member

I have to go with CZ 452. Extremely accurate. Mine does 3/4" groups at 50 yards. Part of what makes it so great is that conventional wisdom has it that rimfire accuracy is heavily dependent on finding the ammo your gun likes. As best I can tell my 452 drives tacks with everything. My only complaint is that the factory trigger was awful, but I stuck on a Rifle Basix and now it's pretty much great on every level.

jackie53 likes this.
  15. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

Did you try adjusting the trigger on the 452 before you bought the Basix?
    I’ve never touched the trigger on either of my 452’s and they are among the better triggers of any of my rifles. I would guess them to be around 3 pounds with a nice clean break.

jackie53 likes this.
  16. VarmintAttorney

VarmintAttorney Well-Known Member

No, I never tried adjusting the original trigger. I took the rifle to a gunsmith once and asked him about adjusting it. He looked at it and indicated he thought any adjustment would make the rifle unsafe. So I didn't mess with it.

The factory trigger on my 452 was truly awful. It broke at about 5 or 6 pounds with A LOT of uneven creep. I bought the rifle in 2004. It's possible that CZ improved the triggers on later models. I don't know, but I've read a lot of complaints about about the 452 trigger. It was the only bad thing about the rifle.

17. KemperCamper

KemperCamper Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W

Ruger 77/22 VBZ in Target gray IMG_9264.jpg

18. jackie53

jackie53 Well-Known Member

Been Reading, YouTube videos on this Rimfire..Savage Mark II 22lr.. 20200617_170609.jpeg 20200617_170616.jpeg

19. deer14

deer14 Well-Known Member

Still got my Nylon 66 . Spent a summer on a hoe handle , ta get it . When they first come out . Ahead of it's time . Another jewel , old , but good . Marlin 39 A . Like ta shoot "shorts" out of it .

20. brushcreek

brushcreek Well-Known Member

I bought a couple of those a few years ago. Need to get out and shoot them