The thing of which we shouldn't speak...at least in the trading post.

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by QuarterBore, Dec 24, 2012.

1. QuarterBore

QuarterBore Well-Known Member

'Tis verboten to mention such things in the trading post, but this is timely and relevant beyond the confines of this site. What does the AH.net crew think of folks charging outrageous prices for firearms stuff during this most recent second amendment scare?

Personally I believe in the free market and a person should be able to sell his or her crap for whatever. If people are dumb enough or desperate enough to buy it, so be it. However, I think it is a bit cannibalistic seeing as how we are all in this fight together. One thing for sure, I won't do business with them personally. What say you?

2. flydown

flydown Well-Known Member

Beebe
    About the same as this. I would not be able to undestand one person telling another how much they can sell their goodies for. Isn't that sorta price fixing?

3. Carr.45

Carr.45 Well-Known Member

I am with you. Even though selling my AR for twice what I paid sounds really nice, I wouldn't do it. Now auctioning it and letting someone set their own spending limit would be another thing. Then I wouldn't feel like I was being crooked

4. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    I saw today that 30 round aluminum mags were SELLING for $100 each.

Looking at my mags stash and realizing the $$$$$$ I have setting in front of me is tempting!!

5. QuarterBore

Aluminum mags?!?!

People really are stupid...

6. Hill Farm Hunter

Hill Farm Hunter Well-Known Member

I'll make you a deal, 4 for $300. :)

Where did you see that? $60 seems about average on eBay for Pmags.

Any idea what states your not allowed to ship them too?

7. Jed A

Jed A Well-Known Member

Selling water and generators in times of disasters at exorbitant prices is price gouging and wrong.

Selling in this gun grab is fine by me.

People are worried that these guns and mags won't be available in the future so they are willing to pay. The sellers are either gambling that they will be available and this price is temorary or have decided that this is the price point where they would rather not have these things.

8. Caveat emptor, let the buyer beware is still true. Right after some sort of panic is always the worst time to buy whatever the focus is on. Wait and prices will drop, find another source, or do without. They can't gouge you if you refuse to buy it. People can ask whatever they want, but you don't have to pay.

9. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    Correct. Right after O got elected the first time the AR market was going just like this. I sold 2 lowers for $425 each and they sold within minutes of me listing them.

The buyer was gambling that they would not be available any more, I was gambling that they were going to be available. I won and bought more for $90 OTD after the feeding frenzy subsided.

I have to decide what I can live with and what I can live without and whether it's worth the gamble.

If I sell lowers for $400 and they are totally banned from new civvy sales as transferrable MG's are now, a transferrable lower could be worth thousands in a few years. If not, they may be available for $90 in 6 months.

10. dkhern

dkhern Well-Known Member

its a transaction between two indivuals aint none of anybodies business

11. newton29

newton29 Well-Known Member

NWA
    Peaks and valleys. I will gamble that prices will come down. If not, I do without.

12. Cjdavis618

Cjdavis618 Well-Known Member

So if you decide to sell any more, send me a PM with your price.. :wink: I call them first... lol

13. mr4pt

mr4pt Well-Known Member Supporting Member

SWA
    I just checked out the trading post, two different people selling dpms for $1800 and $1500.

I guess I shouldn't be surprise except I think of this place as a pretty close knit group of ppl. I could better understand putting them out there on fb or arms list where u don't know the ppl or interact with them. I would be ashamed to try and get over on my "friends" like that.

Oh we'll, maybe they will find someone with more money than sense

14. QuarterBore

I can neither confirm nor deny that the $1800 rifle was the inspiration for this thread.

15. mr4pt

SWA
    It's all good.

Nobody is holding an overpriced varmint gun to our heads making us buy them...

16. silentassassin

silentassassin Well-Known Member

Well one of those rifles is mine so I'll comment. I'm not trying to get over on anyone. I'm not forcing anyone to buy anything. I'm merely offering the rifle I have for the price I am willing to sell it. If someone wants to buy it for that, I will sell it. If they don't I won't. It seems fairly simple to me. You can't go buy one at a store and if you did you would pay that amount, that is to say that is what it would cost me to replace the rifle IF I could replace it at all. I feel like I can do without the rifle so I am willing to sell it if someone feels like they need or want it. But it would be foolish to sell it for less than it would cost me to replace it. As some have stated this isn't a "must have" item. This is an item an individual will decide they either are or aren't willing to pay for. If they are, I will sell, if they aren't I won't. But they may not have another chance to buy or the price may go even higher so I may loose the gamble myself and it may wind up being a deal compared to the price 6 months from now. You all are certainly welcome to your opinions but I fail to see how offering someone the choice to buy or not is getting over on them.

17. mr4pt

SWA
    Simple supply and demand I guess.

18. QuarterBore

You are one hundred percent correct. Ain't America grand!

I'll never do business with you, but I hope you find someone desperate enough or dumb enough to.

19. silentassassin

silentassassin Well-Known Member

If someone chooses to buy that is fine and if they don't that is fine too. The market will decide if the price is fair or not. You're certainly welcome to offer your opinion and exercise your right not to purchase and I'm sure it will be of absolutely zero consequence to either of us.

20. pdosh

pdosh Well-Known Member

I watched a nice AR sell on Gun Broker from Bud's gun shop for 3205.00 last night.