Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This mornings experience reminded me why I love bowhunting and being a predator. Via trail camera photos on my urban hunt bait pile I picked out a spike last week that I wanted to kill. I got in my tree stand early this morning. About 7:30 2 does and 2 fawns came in. I watched them for about half an hour until they fed off. About 5 minutes after they fed off I needed to stand up and stretch. I had no sooner stood up when I caught movement behind me. It was a doe, the spike I wanted to kill, and the same group of deer that had just fed off. My heart started thumping, and a rush came over me when he stepped into bow range. I could feel my legs and arms start to wobble. My heart started pounding so hard I thought the deer were going to hear it. My breathing was almost in a stutter I was so amped up. It was not easy waiting until all those sets of eyes were pointed away from my direction to draw. They finally gave me the chance and I started to draw my bow. I couldn't. I was shaking so hard that when I started pulling my right arm backwards it just shook almost uncontrolably and I could not draw. I took a few deep breaths, told myself to calm down and kill the deer. This time it worked, my bow drew smooth, I settled the 20 yard pin right behind his shoulder, steadied my hold and put pressure on my release trigger. A split second later I watched my lighted knock disapear into the crease right behind his shoulder. The other deer scattered at the loud whack and mule kick from the spike. As he ran down the hill I could see almost all of my arrow sticking out of his opposite side. Only the fletchings didn't exit.

When I sat down I was shaking. I had to sit in my stand for 5 minutes just to settle myself enough to climb down. This was the first time I have ever killed a deer standing up in a tree stand with a bow. I have killed about 15 deer with a bow. I was on the ground for most of them, the few I have shot from a tree stand I was sitting down. I always get that thumping heart and flush feeling when one comes in that I know I am going to try to kill. I have never gotten it as bad as I did this morning. Hunting with a bow is awesome. That little spike gave me a rush like no other. Anything like this still happen to you veteran bowhunters?

Deer Canidae Fawn Deer hunting

Attachments

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Great story! I only have a couple of years under my belt but know what you are saying about the shakes. I've missed two nice bucks because I was shaking so bad. But what a feeling! Great shot as well! keep them coming.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Great story!! I am just the opposite, always stand up to shoot. But the feeling is still the same. My addrenalin has pumped so hard befor that my back was actually in pain. Good job!!

·
Registered
16,108 Posts
Sounds just like my wife first bow shoot last year, she kept telling me" I can't quit shaking, what's wrong with me" and of course I was dying laughing and I couldnt stop that either :fit:
Gratz on the kill, its a great feeling and I hope I never lose that:up:

·
Registered
Bow
8,154 Posts
I enjoyed your story. You conveyed the experience well. I've never had it quite that bad but I know that feeling for sure! If I ever lose that feeling, I'll be hanging up my broadheads. Congratulations!

·
Registered
31,145 Posts
Shoot I get the shakes from shooting a doe. Like was said above, the day I quit getting that feeling is the day I'll quit deer hunting. Great story, thanks for sharing!

·
Super Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner
1,834 Posts
Tried for 3yrs to get my first with a bow using a 40lb Bear recurve. Had killed 4 prior with a gun. I shook so hard with the first bow deer I thought I was going to knock the tree down!! Bowhunting is the biggest rush for me. Killed very few with a gun in the last 20yrs.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I have had the back pain before too. Was hunting a monster buck that I had seen one time and was okay but when I went back on a perfect day and had a deer coming in to me but I couldnt see its head for a long while it got me going big time. I was on ready for a good while. Finally she popped out from the brush....almost shot her for getting me so riled up!

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,527 Posts
One of the most exciting morning bow hunts I was ever on, I tried 3 times to draw my bow, I finally sat down, drew some deep breaths, made sure I had my own bow and not something else, looked at all the parts, to make sure they were right, then stood back up and dropped an arrow right through the heart of my opening day deer! I know exactly what that feels like, and if it ever goes away, you might want to try jumping out on a deer wearing nothing but a loin cloth and a bowie knife!:biggrin:

·
Registered
254 Posts
One of the most exciting morning bow hunts I was ever on, I tried 3 times to draw my bow, I finally sat down, drew some deep breaths, made sure I had my own bow and not something else, looked at all the parts, to make sure they were right, then stood back up and dropped an arrow right through the heart of my opening day deer! I know exactly what that feels like, and if it ever goes away, you might want to try jumping out on a deer wearing nothing but a loin cloth and a bowie knife!:biggrin:
When I was learning skydiving, I asked the instructor , who had thousands of jumps, how long it took for him not to be scared. He told that if ever a day comes that he is not scared he will quit. Its all about the rush.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.