Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im new here but was wandering what yall thought about the rut? Have the bucks started good in yalls area yet? Im located in phillips county and the deer movement seems to be at a stand still.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Light scraping...no chasing in my area....north conway co as of Sunday.

I had a scrape line i was sitting over during the first weekend of the mz hunt. When the warm weather moved in bucks stopped working the scrapes altogether. checked the line two Sunday's ago and the scrapes were active again. That Tues the 11th, after a night of rain and strong winds I sneaked in at about 7:30 when the storms broke. I killed a decent 7 point that stepped out at 8 and was about to work the scrape line. Two of the scrapes were still being scratched last Suday....if the does dont start coming into heat by this sat I at least know that another buck is hanging around. hopefully he'll pop his head out so my 12 year old girl can get her first deer this weekend.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It will be best thanksgiving week where I hunt as it always is
that's what i'm thinking too, i've hunted almost everyday since ml season and this has been the most non-existent rut i've ever seen. all the scrapes i've found are gone and no bucks even trailing does yet, much less running them. i usually see something by now though:head:

·
Registered
605 Posts
For me it has been one of the most exciting ruts I have seen in a long time. From Nov 3 to Nov 15 I have seen more chases from decent bucks than I have seen in a long time. I actually heard what they call the "roar" from a good buck after a doe even though it was very windy and he was a good distance away. I could have sat over scrapes or rublines until I was blue in the face and it would have not done me any good because the bucks were where the does were plain and simple.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I saw a little pre-rut activity back in middle October, but since then not much. There was so much late-season breeding last year, we were still seeing spots on fawns as late as the first week of October. Those babies are still on the teat.

I think this is all a result of the 2007 April freeze. Its late. Way late this year to see this little action.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I saw lots of does this past weekend. Only saw 1 decent buck Friday evening; a doe was in the middle of one of my lanes looking at a thicket. I see horns coming through and just about when he is about to step into the clearing, he turns and runs the other way. I guess she startled him, or maybe he likes other bucks. The only chasing I've seen was from several spikes, but it looked more like a game; jump, run, chase, and then run away in the opposite direction. I'm hoping with the cold mornings things will get busy this weekend and into Thanksgiving.

Safe hunting to all

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
About the 6th of Nov. My neighbor seen a ten point topping a doe. All I have been seeing are yearling does and small bucks. I don't know where the mature deer went ... I think we are in full rut mode around here and probably about to enter the ending of it.....

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
used my second buck tag this morning on a 8 point. he was feeding with a doe and a button buck, couldn't care less about chasing her.:head: oh well, at least i can get to the more serious business now, duck hunting!!!:up::up:

·
Registered
20,572 Posts
If its started around my hunting area, I haven't seen it. But I can only imagine some does have came in. When you got a lot of does its a crap shoot at best. I really prefer the weeks after supposed peek breeding myself. But that doesn't stop me from hunting right now.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
About the 6th of Nov. My neighbor seen a ten point topping a doe. All I have been seeing are yearling does and small bucks. I don't know where the mature deer went ... I think we are in full rut mode around here and probably about to enter the ending of it.....
We have reached full rut here, and will see the end of peak rut by sometime next week.... with little rut left by the 1st or 2nd week of December.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks

Hey guys thanks for the replies! I was hoping it wasnt me. The deer activity has all but ceased around here as of Sunday, I was seeing some does and small bucks but now nothing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.