The Runs..........

Discussion in 'Ask the Vet' started by woodsnwater, Dec 16, 2010.

1. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

Here for the past 2 days my Lab has have diarrhea. She stays in the laundry room when we are away and at night. Any other time we lay a sheet on out couch and she lays on it. She seems not being herself. I know when I came in yesterday from work to let her out, I open the door and:eek:mg:.... It is a wonder she is not dehydrated. Can they get stomach virus or chewing on deer meat ( off deer legs and ect...) and not being use to it cause this? Also, is there something we can give her such like we take Modium AD?

2. kendract

kendract Well-Known Member

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/illnesses.html

Lot of useful information. It seems as though it should clear up within a few days if you take the right actions. There are some tips on here for things you can do to help. It also says that they can get diarrhea a lot and it isn't uncommon, especially from chewing on things out of their diet or off the street, etc. (what I'm getting at is it could have been caused from deer meat or bone if they're not used to it.)

Read up and good luck! Hope she feels better!

3. kendract

Oh and I would HIGHLY NOT recommend giving your dog any types of medicines intended for people. If it comes down to you've tried the things on the list, I'd visit the vet and get something prescribed for dogs.

4. woodsnwater

Thank you, Kendra

5. woodsnwater

Oh.. Just read some. Fits her to the T... She'll eat anything she can get a hold of.At 1st I thought she got a hold of grease. That will do it, but we don't pour grease outside cause of her. She is still got a little, but not as bad. I notice that while we were outside. I'll read more later. Thanks again.:up:

6. Eagle Dad 44

Eagle Dad 44 Well-Known Member

A good home remedy that I typically tell my clients to try:
    1) No food just water for 12-18 hours to let the stomach settle.
    2) Feed a small meal of boiled chicken meat ( no skin, bones or fat ) and rice after the 12-18 hour period. Feed 3 meals of this spread throughout the day.
    3) Kao-Pectate is something that a lot of people have at home that can be used to treat diarrhea symptomatically. Usually a child's dose is sufficient.

If the problem persists for more than 24 hours after trying this method, go see your veterinarian for a check up. If they do not drink water during the fasting period, you need to go ahead and take them into the veterinarians office.
    ** Be sure to tell your veterinarian of any medications that you gave them prior to going to the office, including the Kao-Pectate.
    Chris

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  7. kendract

Yay I helped! :clap:

8. Eagle Dad 44

Good job kendract!!!!

Chris

9. FrogTacos

FrogTacos Well-Known Member

Oh man, that reminds me of the first time my dogs got deer bones. Didn't give them the diarrhea but holy cow the gas. They were both banned to the backyard for a couple of days.

10. woodsnwater

Yea, Abby gets pretty gassy. She'll run you out of the living room. I use to get blame for it:rolleyes:. Now, I got a " Scape Goat ".:idea:

11. woodsnwater

Thanks, Chris...Will do.

12. Maggiesmaster

Maggiesmaster Well-Known Member

NE AR
    Dr. Genty wrote:

Feed a small meal of boiled chicken meat ( no skin, bones or fat ) and rice after the 12-18 hour period.

My lab hadn't eaten in a while and had an upset stomach. Our vet couldn't see anything in the x-ray, and recommended for us to feed her a mixture of chicken meat and rice cooked in chicken broth to stimulate her appetite. If that didn't work he was going to do exploratory surgery to check for foreign bodies in her gut.

We took her home, and I had to travel outside of town immediately. Called my wife that night and asked her if Maggie ate the chicken & rice concoction. She said "she ate all of her bowl, and it smelled so good I ate two bowls of it myself!:biggrin:

13. woodsnwater

That's pretty funny there.

14. Eagle Dad 44

My lab hadn't eaten in a while and had an upset stomach. Our vet couldn't see anything in the x-ray, and recommended for us to feed her a mixture of chicken meat and rice cooked in chicken broth to stimulate her appetite. If that didn't work he was going to do exploratory surgery to check for foreign bodies in her gut.

We took her home, and I had to travel outside of town immediately. Called my wife that night and asked her if Maggie ate the chicken & rice concoction. She said "she ate all of her bowl, and it smelled so good I ate two bowls of it myself!

Did your wife feel better?

Chris