The power of chapstick

Discussion in 'Survival Skills and Techniques' started by arc3162, Jan 3, 2011.

1. arc3162

arc3162 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned so I thought I would share. My girlfriend and I went on an overnight backpacking trip this last weekend. We stopped to make camp and I started building a fire. Wondered around a little while, gathered up some wood and a little rich pine (couldn't find much rich pine around the edge of lake ouchita where we were camping). Get back to camp and make a fire ring. split the rich pine up and put it on top of the drier lint I brought with me, but I forgot to bring any petroleum jelly to roll the drier lint in.

My girlfriend asked if I had any chapstick in my pocket. This time of year of course I did. She took it from me and put some on the lint and rolled it into a ball. I lit it and it burned awesome, turns out that chapstick is something like 60% petroleum jelly. Not a bad thing to have with you if you are stuck without much else to start a fire with. All else fells twist the tube completely out of the casing and put it under some tinder and light it. You will have a fire going in no time.

Just thought I would pass that along to everyone. Never know when you are going to fall into the creek and need a fire to try to warm yourself up.

2. bearpaw

bearpaw Well-Known Member

chapstick

i never knew that. that is great information to know. thanks:up:

3. FrogTacos

FrogTacos Well-Known Member

That is pretty interesting. I have found them to be great relief from bug bites. Rubbed some on a skeeter bite in a bad moment of desperation - worked like a charm.

4. demented

demented Well-Known Member

I've heard its good for Hemorroids too.....For some reason nobody wants to ever borrow my stick!

5. .375H&H

.375H&H Well-Known Member

An old man was sitting in front of a saloon when he saw a cowboy ride up on his horse. The cowboy rode up to the saloon, jumped off his horse, tied the horse to the hitching post. He then walked around behind the horse and stuck his finger up the horse's azz, pulled it out and rubbed his finger on his lips. The old man seeing this yelled, "What the hell did you do that for?!" The cowboy anwsered, "I have chapped lips." The old man asked, "Is that a cure for chapped lips?" The cowboy said, "No but it keeps me from licking them!"

:fit: