Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my son were talking in the blind about duck hunting the other morning. He was asking what is was like when I started hunting with my dad. I told him a few stories I remembered about hunting bayou meto in the early 80's. Now he wants to go there and that lead to a big fat NO. Anyway he asked about limits. I told him it was by points then. I need a refresher about how that worked to explain that to him. Thanks

· Premium Member
30,884 Posts
100 pts allowed, with the last duck allowed to exceed 100 pts. Drake mallards 25 pts each, off ducks mostly 10 points. So, you could have 3 drake mallards @ 25 each for 75 pts, two gadwalls at 10 each for a total of 95 pts, and then you could shoot a hen mallard at 70 pt giving you a total of 165 pts - you could kill any duck as your last duck, as long as you still had LESS than 100 pts. 100 pts even and you were done.

· Registered
1,507 Posts
All is know is when it ended if you killed a hen you were done - if you killed a drake you could kill a hen to finish but if you killed the hen first you had to unload your gun. They would stick a thermometer up a ducks but to see which one you killed last if they wanted to get you. Two ducks limit on mallards - usually got your limit but hated to double

· Premium Member
30,884 Posts
Hen mallard was ALWAYS the last duck killed. That thermometer thing would not hold up in court. I worked for the Feds at the time. One laying in the cold water would cool off quicker than one laying on a stump in the sun.

· Banned
78 Posts
Now he wants to go there and that lead to a big fat NO.
Opinions are what you pay for them, so I'll give you this one. I've hunted private for 20 years, but I also go to BM 6-10 times a year. I don't race to the blue line or even get one of the old time holes, although I have hunted most of them at one time or another. Sometimes I kill 3 big ducks, sometimes just one (Im getting off topic) My point is you SHOULD take him, even if it's just for the youth hunt. Or just go down there the weekend after the season and drive around for 3-4 hours. Then when he gets older he can decide if he wants to do it on his own. Everyone needs to see it 'cause one day it might be gone (meaning changed - all dead, or limited access)

· Premium Member
30,884 Posts
Wasn't a canvas back 100pts back then. I didn't duck hunt during that time but I was told if u killed a canvas back it was over for the day.
If memory serves me correctly, yes - they were 100 pts. I believe a few years hens were 90 and Black ducks might have been 100. There were a few years pintails were 10 pts. Dang - this is really stretching my memory.

· Premium Member
30,884 Posts
I was thinkin drakes were 35 points. That would put you at 105 points with 3 of them. I know pintails were 10 points and thats part of what put the hurt on them for several years.
The points changed from season to season - but I believe they were 35 pts for several seasons. Where I hunt, we did not hurt those 10 point pintails - we did not shoot anymore then than we do now. They are just not very common where I hunt. If there was three or four of you hunting, and had a good gadwall shoot - there were more birds to clean than you wanted.

· Registered
385 Posts
Drakes were originally 25 and hens were 75. Eventually the drakes went to 35 and hens stayed at 75 (maybe 100 :head:) I was a kid when the point system was used. I can remember my dad having to count out everybody's limit at the end of the day. Not sure you could get away with that now.

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Opinions are what you pay for them, so I'll give you this one. I've hunted private for 20 years, but I also go to BM 6-10 times a year. I don't race to the blue line or even get one of the old time holes, although I have hunted most of them at one time or another. Sometimes I kill 3 big ducks, sometimes just one (Im getting off topic) My point is you SHOULD take him, even if it's just for the youth hunt. Or just go down there the weekend after the season and drive around for 3-4 hours. Then when he gets older he can decide if he wants to do it on his own. Everyone needs to see it 'cause one day it might be gone (meaning changed - all dead, or limited access)
I see your point. We usually hunt cutoff a few times a year for a timber hunt. I wouldn't have the slightest idea about meto now. Since prolly 85 I went there once in 96.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.