Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Hey Stealthy, We killed 4 deer last weekend and all shot with rage Hypo. My GF only pulling 46lbs and made bad shot very bad shot deer went 70 yards. My son pulling 55lbs he hit high and watched deer die. other kids pulling 60 lbs deer went maybe 40 yrds good shot on it. I shot one good shot watched it die maybe 30 yrds. That goes against all your rules on mechanical heads. I shot my deer at 47 yrds pulling 67lbs and 400 grn arrow.

There was a video of interview of a pro shooter on archery talk you need to watch.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
I'd watch it BullDog and I agree, most of the time any broadhead will work. I don't like "most of the time" with my broadheads and while I've personally not had one cost me a deer (they're flimsy, one shot and done broadheads IMO) I've seen far too much evidence show they fail, they're weak and flimsy. I mean the design itsself is flimsy for mech broadheads.

They are legal, some people like them until they lose deer with them. They fly great, which helps a lot of people with untuned bows.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Stoo sure, some people choose mech's and have great tuned bows.

They sure do help with untuned though - solves everything as far as broadhead flight differences from field points.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I can promise you my bows are well tuned and I can also promise at 46 yrs old and been bow hunting since I was 14 the Hypodermic is the best BH I have used to date. You can't say you know unless you have used them first hand.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'd watch it BullDog and I agree, most of the time any broadhead will work. I don't like "most of the time" with my broadheads and while I've personally not had one cost me a deer (they're flimsy, one shot and done broadheads IMO) I've seen far too much evidence show they fail, they're weak and flimsy. I mean the design itsself is flimsy for mech broadheads.

They are legal, some people like them until they lose deer with them. They fly great, which helps a lot of people with untuned bows.
Couldn't have said it better! Twice, I had at least one blade deploy, two shots in a row. One caused a clean miss, the other went from a heart/lung "gimme" at 15 yards turn into a helicopter that hit 1' back and 9" high on a nice buck. He ran out of earshot with NO BLOOD...... and it took me until the next morning to find him in low 60's/high 50's weather, at least 250-300 yards away and ruined! The blades were seated properly, no errors on my part.

Never again!:smack:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Couldn't have said it better! Twice, I had at least one blade deploy, two shots in a row. One caused a clean miss, the other went from a heart/lung "gimme" at 15 yards turn into a helicopter that hit 1' back and 9" high on a nice buck. He ran out of earshot with NO BLOOD...... and it took me until the next morning to find him in low 60's/high 50's weather, at least 250-300 yards away and ruined! The blades were seated properly, no errors on my part.

Seriously...a broad head caused your arrow to do all that in 15 yards? Helicopter and miss by almost 2 feet?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

HAHAHA!!!! Now, that's good stuff and very funny.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
wow call a guy a liar huh ?

You can't say you know unless you have used them first hand.
I killed deer with Vortex, Puckett's and Shockwaves .... might have tried another, can't remember. I've had enough first hand knowledge of them to make judgement calls on what they are and what they are not.

·
Registered
31,116 Posts
wow call a guy a liar huh ?

I killed deer with Vortex, Puckett's and Shockwaves .... might have tried another, can't remember. I've had enough first hand knowledge of them to make judgement calls on what they are and what they are not.
Trying to compare those 3 broadheads to the mechanicals of today is just plain ignorant.

·
Registered
31,116 Posts

What broadhead were you using? So the broadhead killed the deer, you just made a crappy shot and want to blame the broadhead correct?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I shot two deer with the same rage broad head. The second was a good buck and I made a marginal shot. I hit it in the front shoulder. It buried up bout 6" and ran off. I was thinking just like stealthy it's gone with those little blades. I started trailing it 2 hrs later and it was dead 60 yards away. The arrow went through the blade of the shoulder and eat the lungs up.
I'm sold on my 2 blade rages.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
I have not shot a Rage first hand. I tried in 2013 .. bought hypodermics, antelope hunting .... tried to assemble them and realized just how junk they were and never used them. Shot Slick Tricks instead.

Several buddies have - and lost deer because of poor penetration which mechanicals (by their design and nature) produce. The hunting forum internet world is littered with stories on failed Rage heads. And Rage more than any other - some mech's DO have a good reputation, I'll admit that.

giveout its not the little blades - its just the fact that they're flimsy (see above video) and they can fail to open (known fact)

My Dad used to shoot Muzzy's until they went to aluminum ferrule and they bent/folded on impact. Junk heads. There have been a LOT of junk broadheads over the years that have killed a lot of deer/animals. Heck Puckett's might have been THE WORST HEAD EVER MADE and yet many a deer/elk/bear/antelope were killed with them. They were junk, garbage, exceptionally well advertised though.

I don't have to use this knife

to know it will bend/break much quicker than this one will

and I don't have to shoot this broadhead

to know that it will bend/break faster and quicker and is not nearly as strong and trustworthy as this head

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.