Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A cpl buddies of mine, 5 all together, made the 3.5 hr drive to Bayou Meto today. A long drive and several hours layer, they left with 1 hen. Is it really that bad right now? I was thinking of making a trip, but I sure aint gonna waste the gas for that. Our DD trip for Wednesday is off due to predicted high winds and thunderstorms. I, like many of you, have invested quite a bit in this season. Sure is depressing.

·
Premium Member
20,278 Posts
A cpl buddies of mine, 5 all together, made the 3.5 hr drive to Bayou Meto today. A long drive and several hours layer, they left with 1 hen. Is it really that bad right now? I was thinking of making a trip, but I sure aint gonna waste the gas for that. Our DD trip for Wednesday is off due to predicted high winds and thunderstorms. I, like many of you, have invested quite a bit in this season. Sure is depressing.
Obviously they didn't have a nitro injected, dual propped, ram air mega on a 12 ft swamp demon. Might want to ask if they had their Costas or Oakleys on as well. It's a proven fact that ducks only fall into the BBDH holes at the Metro. Heard this year if you put a couple of drake stickers on the barrel of your gun it's worth another 2 ducks?

All kidding aside, the metro is SLOW right now.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Just about ready to pack it in for ducks and start getting after coyotes! Been a handful of times and not seen much die! I really don't think this season is going to get much better at all! Been chasing ducks for better than 30 years and this year is BAD!!

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
Thats right. I have another friend that has been pheasant hunting in KS for the last week. He aaid that they are loaded with ducks and geese all the way to NW Kansas.
The central flyway is loaded with ducks this year. Some of the experts have told me that the migration in that flyway has been increasing more and more with each passing year. While in the mean time we all see what is taking place here.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The central is where we get our duck here in the Ozarks. They come across the lake system and the upper White to get to the Ark river and so on to the southern MS flyway. Its tough hunting for sure. May see 200 one day and 2 the next. Just gotta be there. But when its still 60*+ in KS, well, it just aint happening.

·
Registered
31,142 Posts
In my 25 years of duck hunting, this year is the worst so far...but it ain't over, and I sure do enjoy a cigar and hot cup of coffee with good friends...even if we don't kill em.
You got that right. Hunted yesterday and again this morning with a life long friend that's been deployed overseas twice, and with the places he's been training probably will be going back before too long. Killing some would be great, but getting to spend time with a buddy of mine that I don't get to see that much is a whole lot more important. He said he's just happy to be shooting at something that can't shoot back at him :up:

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
You got that right. Hunted yesterday and again this morning with a life long friend that's been deployed overseas twice, and with the places he's been training probably will be going back before too long. Killing some would be great, but getting to spend time with a buddy of mine that I don't get to see that much is a whole lot more important. He said he's just happy to be shooting at something that can't shoot back at him :up:
You, my friend, have it figured out. This time last year my wife and I were watching the life be drained from our precious little girl by cancer. I was holding her at 3:20 AM on January 17, 2015 when she gasped and took her last breath. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I sit out there now and watch the beautiful sunrises that she paints every morning. Killing ducks is fun, but not a requirement.

Y'all hug those babies this morning.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.