The last few times ive beenout.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by bigbrown, Jan 1, 2011.

1. bigbrown

bigbrown Well-Known Member

Xmas hunt 2 mornings and afternoons.this afternoon nothing. Im by sign. Its been like this all freaking season. What is the deal?

2. They are still very nocturnal...... in the evenings they are everywhere.
    May take a little while for them to go to some sort of a daylight pattern.

3. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

Or it could be that we don't have as many deer in this part of the world as some folks think.

4. I'm the same way. NO DEER, well during daylight. Now that the food source is gone I am getting between 800-900 pics in two days. NONE of which are during the day. But things will change I hope. All of my bucks left for the rut. But they are back now. All I have to do is get one to come out during the day, lol.

5. BigBuckDown

BigBuckDown Well-Known Member

The problem is too much food. There hasnt been any rain to spoil the acorns.Where i hunt there is still acorns in the trees.Redoaks that is.

6. bigbrown

bigbrown Well-Known Member

my camera still has dang deer at night

7. bernie

bernie Well-Known Member

Mine too. I hunt near Lake Poinsett on 160 acres and I have 2 cameras out and am getting massive amounts of pictures of different deer. I have counted at least 8 different bucks, and numerous doe, but nada during the day. My dad, told me yesterday that he had seen a large doe at 8:00 AM on Thursday. Maybe that is a good sign.

8. Hogbreath

Hogbreath Well-Known Member

It's been a slow season for me too, I think the drought like conditions and the bodacious acorn crop have combined to knock me for a loop, plus I've hunted a pine thicket mostly, and the saplings have gotten big enough to kill the understory.

My hunting buddy, who I was afraid was about to quit hunting, recaught the fever this year, and has had pretty good luck hunting the bottoms.

He'd have deer all around him and I wouldn't see a thing.

Biggest acorn crop I've ever seen this year, lots of 'em, and some really huge ones too. Just unreal.

9. dsmtuner1

dsmtuner1 Well-Known Member

Got to the back side of Holland Bottoms. Acorns are bigger than golfballs by the trillions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deer just wait till night and hit the buffet......

10. Dark Timber Stalker

Dark Timber Stalker Well-Known Member

My feeling is that the season is just too long. These deer have been pressured so much it's no wonder they move in the dark. It wouldn't surprise me that the really mature bucks only move exclusively in the night except days here and there during the peak of the rut. Then you throw in spring turkey hunting these deer are pressured year round. It's not that way in a lot of other states. Too much pressure and the deer hide.

11. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

You know, I had an Old Man give me some advice many years ago about business, maybe we could apply it to deer hunting here in Arkansas, what he told me was this,

"If you desire to be the best one must first really know who is the best, then you must look at what you consider the best and figure out what they are doing to be the best, and then when you do that you just have to do it just a little better than them then you are the best!"

Pretty plain, pretty simple, all know who we would like to be like so that part is covered, most know what they are doing so that is covered, but here is where we will fall short on our wants, few are willing to do what it takes to get there, so, if not, we will have to be what we are, another want-to-be wishing we were!

12. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I'm thankful for the place I hunt. We have lot's of deer. We don't use wheelers,
    We don't tromp around in the woods during season, We don't over hunt our stands. And we all see lot's of deer almost every time we hunt. And when the ones that hunt feeders set up their stands they are far enough away from it so the deer don't smell the people every time they come. These are all small things but when they are added up they make a huge difference in deer seen. We also don't shoot the first legal deer we see.

13. knighten

knighten Well-Known Member

I have seen alot of deer between 10 and 3 this year.I shot one at 11:00 and one at 2:30.Thats why i like to stay in my climber all day if i can.

14. jwalls

jwalls Member

wynne
    i dont know anymore.......makes me sick. ive never had this much trouble seeing deer. I hope it changes soon, before season is out.

15. kelly5758

kelly5758 Well-Known Member

Our problem with not seeing as many deer this season is there is a new deer lease that butts up to our private property. They shoot everything that moves, run 4 wheelers all day long. Now that gun season is over they don't bow hunt and things are starting to calm down, but now the dogs are running through the woods all day barking. A guy can't win.

16. spoiled rotten I tell ya'...

we all have been spoiled rotten by high deer numbers in most of the Natural State.....one of the reasons I joined a club there.....but now for whatever reason....unknown to me....folks ain't seeing as many deer.....I feel your pain.....but for me I just think back to all those seasons hunting down in the LA marsh.......using a pirouge to cross small bays, walking a 1/4 mile in knee deep water into the swamp all to maybe see only 1 deer all season long hunting from Oct to Jan...hard hunting builds a never give up attitude:thumb:........helps overcome a slow season....hope it gets better for everyone including myself gonna hit Big Timbers WMA always see deer out there....