Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,156 Posts
It is amazing there us a Turkey left in AR. 50 of 57 nests destroyed by predators and two of the three clutches that did hatch gone within the first four weeks. Poult production did not even replace those adult hens that were killed while attempting to nest.

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is amazing there us a Turkey left in AR. 50 of 57 nests destroyed by predators and two of the three clutches that did hatch gone within the first four weeks. Poult production did not even replace those adult hens that were killed while attempting to nest.
Ain't that the truth.. It amazes me when the powers that be have the data to prove predation as a leading cause of our decline in turkey numbers and we don't do more to correct the situation..:banghead: We can't control the weather but we can improve the habitat and we can open up the season on predators..

·
Member<br>You Can't Change This Side
533 Posts
we "remove" several nest predators on our property in Sharp county. It is seeming to help right now. We are seeing several more poults in mid to late summer than we used to. We also have begun a prescribed burn regimine. Our wildlife habitat has improved dramitically in the past few years. I think predator removal is the key. Hopefully **** prices will go up this year, especially since there are several traps on our property each weekend.

·
Premium Member
26,156 Posts
I don't believe the fur prices will drive trappers to the woods anymore. I wish g&f would do a study On removal of predators - I am not talking about removing them all. We might find that just removing a few would make a noticeable difference. This is the secOnd study that proved beyond a doubt what the problem is - yet many folks continue to question. It seems to be pretty black and white.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Quail and turkey's. How they ever make it is simply amazing. I hate that more is/has not been done to help this. Predators are a big problem.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I keep hearing folks talking about a bounty on ***** and yotes being the answer. I personally can't see this making that much difference. If a bounty was placed on say a ****, and it was $5. Something has to be turned in to prove it was a legit clam. tail...something. Ok say a hide is bringing only $7. You turn that in, not in 100% tact they won't take them. You loosing money. I just don't feel enough folks would start removal of these species to make any difference. No way could anyone afford much more than that on a bounty which could be in such a un budgeting situation for any agency. You could kill the small fur market we do have now if the market was flooded. Just not enough demand for them anymore. Yotes will bring enough now to be worth trapping but again, folks are just not interested in doing it any longer. Then finally, even if it was attempted, it would be a never ending issue to deal with. You trap and kill them down, they will continue to come back with all the supplemental feeding going on and within 3 years, be right back in the same situation. It sounds good till you think about it in the big picture. Then you get into the argument with the reason and mission of the G&F. To help protect all game from becoming in danger due to over hunting by regulation. They have raised limits, extended seasons over the last several years on ****. Folks just don't take advantage of it. IDK.......

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Not much difference in this and politics. We complain and gripe about the situations but then we don't go vote or make a stand for what's right when we get the chance. We want others to take care of the situation for us. I feel it will all have to come down to individuals and hunters to do what's needed in their areas but if only one or two out of every ten do this, just not enough wide spread effort in making much difference. A good fever break out is our best hope. It could do more good in a summer than we could in ten years. In no rocket scientist and never calmed to be. This is just my opinions on it.

·
Premium Member
26,156 Posts
I would like to see a study done locally to see at what point reducing predators does make a difference - if any. As in some quail studies show a predator index that will result in increasing or decreasing quail populations. The predators don't have to be totally removed. They only have to be somewhat reduced. I think a lot of folks think they have to rid their ground of predators, where in reality, maybe only removing ten ***** might make a difference. If game and fish could provide data that showed it did not take eradication - but only a reduction in predator numbers, maybe more folks would think -"yes, I can get rid of 10 *****". The only way they could pay a bounty would be through recognized fur dealers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would like to see a study done locally to see at what point reducing predators does make a difference - if any. As in some quail studies show a predator index that will result in increasing or decreasing quail populations. The predators don't have to be totally removed. They only have to be somewhat reduced. I think a lot of folks think they have to rid their ground of predators, where in reality, maybe only removing ten ***** might make a difference. If game and fish could provide data that showed it did not take eradication - but only a reduction in predator numbers, maybe more folks would think -"yes, I can get rid of 10 *****". The only way they could pay a bounty would be through recognized fur dealers.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
As long as we feed corn we are gonna have a battle with **** numbers. ***** have always been around but when feeding began and the fur market went to pot is when things got out of hand. Weather may be the major player but you take out 25% of the ***** on your property and stop feeding and I think a real difference will be seen.

·
Premium Member
26,156 Posts
I would also be interested in a study to determine if feeding increases **** numbers or concentrates the existing *****. I do know a feeder is an awfully good place to trap ***** or take a **** dog. I also know of areas in the ouachitas that have never seen a piece of corn and have VERY few turkeys. It would make an interesting study. G&f has sponsored two studies now that show beyond a shadow of a doubt, predation is with a doubt the biggest negative influence on turkey production. Yet they refuse to publicly advertise this. At the very least, they could publish the findings of these studies for the general public to see and begin a public anti predator campaign.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
As long as we feed corn we are gonna have a battle with **** numbers. ***** have always been around but when feeding began and the fur market went to pot is when things got out of hand. Weather may be the major player but you take out 25% of the ***** on your property and stop feeding and I think a real difference will be seen.
I agree with this. I do also think wet or dry weather play a major role, but that's not in our control. When considering areas that have never seen a feeder, I just wonder to what effect outlying areas of thousands acres of feed effect areas of non-feed? I'm no expert on *****, but figure like most animals they are territorial and as populations grow they spill into areas where no feeders exist. Squirrels can migrate long distances, so I would think most ***** might too? I don't think many benefits exist from feeding corn.

SwampCat,
I agree an AR study would be beneficial.

·
Premium Member
26,156 Posts
There are large areas of the ouachitas that have not seen feeders. Caney Cr is 80000 acres and any corn in there has been negligible and turkey population went to nothing. Pond Creek NWR does not have any feeding and turkeys nose dived - but there are a TON of ***** - even without feeding. I doubt there is any feeding to speak of within the bluestem study area. ***** are thick were people feed and where people don't feed. I don't believe feeding supports an artificially high **** population - but it wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I don't **** hunt but I know **** hunters don't have as free range as they used too. Everybody these days is more and more protective of thier property, with good reason but if more people would let people **** hunt thier land a lot more ***** would be killed. Limited access will limit the amount of **** hunters. The state might try some sort of predator co opp with land owners. May work may not just an idea

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I can agree with almost every post on this thread but with this much area facing these high numbers I just can see no easy answer for his situation. Fro every plus, there is a negative effect or not enough hunter involvement to make it happen at this time. Tough one to get a answer to.

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
I can agree with almost every post on this thread but with this much area facing these high numbers I just can see no easy answer for his situation. Fro every plus, there is a negative effect or not enough hunter involvement to make it happen at this time. Tough one to get a answer to.
Especially if we never try. I think we need to set here and talk about it for another 10 years until we come up with THE PERFECT answer..... Honestly it's this reactive mentality that's been our biggest nemesis. Wait until it's too late and then not take any action out of fear that it may not be the perfect reaction. There isn't going to be a perfect reaction. We should have done tons of things proactively that weren't but now that we are in this situation we need to quit talking and start trying to fix the problem and quit coming up with excuses for why things won't work without even trying them. No one is going to be flooding fur markets with **** in the summer and there's been good suggestions on how to create incentives for removal that won't cost money etc. I don't have all the answers by any stretch of the imagination but there are very few actions that could be taken at this point that wouldn't be better than setting here hoping that if we stall long enough that the problem will fix itself. So in that regard you're correct. It is like politics, all talk no action and no one willing to just go out and do the right thing for the right reasons without worrying about what they can gain personally or without being afraid that someone is going to be offended. I'll get off my soapbox now....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts