Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... Some of the local hunting clubs are having trouble with their members wanting to only shoot that big buck. They have too many doe running around and nobody wants to shoot them.

I would like to organize a small group of hunters who would be willing to offer their services to these hunting clubs.

This group would consist of ethical hunters who would show up for a doe only hunt on any club requesting our services. We would obey all club rules and special rules set for the doe only hunt.

We would hope that in most cases those bagging a doe would be able to utilize the hunting clubs special doe tags to tag these deer.

This has been mentioned half in jest but I think it would be a good thing. A group of ethical hunters willing to come on specified days and hunt by specified rules to help hunting clubs with a membership that is largely of the "buck only" mentality deal with the growing "too many doe per buck" ratio issues.

So... I think it would be interesting to find out how many would be interested in offering their "doe only" hunting services and how many of those who manage hunting clubs and are having trouble getting members to take their fair share of doe would be interested or willing to take part in a program such as this.

There are many ideas for taking care of this problem through regulatory channels but through a service like this we would be rising to the occasion to address the issues as responsible hunters.

Let's hear it.

First.... sign me up for being an ethical doe only hunter willing to help a hunting club out. You can also count my son in as well.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
I figure most clubs wouldn't want you hunting on their lease regardless of what you was doing and even if they needed a doe harvest. Have you asked any clubs yet to get a preliminary response? Did they like the idea, or say no way or kinda not sure?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figure most clubs wouldn't want you hunting on their lease regardless of what you was doing and even if they needed a doe harvest.
Well... that doesn't sound like a wise decision to me. But it isn't my decision to make. One or more specific days during the season... not free roam... specific one day only-kill does only hunts to help curb the doe population.

Sounds like wisdom to me.

But, as I said, it isn't my decision to make.

Picture the scrubbing bubbles commercial from days gone by.... "We kill the does so you don't have tooooooooo" LOL Win-Win.

Have you asked any clubs yet to get a preliminary response? Did they like the idea, or say no way or kinda not sure?
That is pretty much was this thread is set out to do.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well all we can do is begin to organize so that the service will be available should any lease owner/manager decide that this would be a positive move on their part to keep their herd in a good ratio to ensure decades of healthy herd in the future.

If any hunters or lease owners/managers would like to register their interest in The Arkansas Doe Brigade then you are welcome to join the Yahoo Group that I just created by that same name.

All we can do is try. The answer is here. Working together we can make a positive impact on the doe/buck ratio in Arkansas.

You can join the group here.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ardoebrigade

·
Registered
469 Posts
Most clubs will complain about having about way too many does but they would have a heartatack if they lost one of them.
Let me make clear I was only playing around when I made that comment. I would let very few join me on my little piece of Arkanasas Heaven. Actually I did make a deal with one of my wifes' coworkers. He is in a club that is overrun with does so he invited me to fill some doe tags. He didn't ask for it but I offered him a chance at a buck on my place in return. Why I dont know but on my little area bucks way outrnumber does. Last year the bucks like to have run themselves to death all the time from about October 20th to the first of December. Personally I deer hunt because I love to eat them and a good fat doe IMO is much better than a rutting buck. I like to fill my freezer then go wait on Mr big.

·
Registered
702 Posts
sign me up. Im game for some doe blasting. I would like to change one thing with your group. I would like to donate all the meat to someone who needs it. I like FARMERS AND HNTERS FEEDING THE HUNGRY.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sign me up. Im game for some doe blasting. I would like to change one thing with your group. I would like to donate all the meat to someone who needs it. I like FARMERS AND HNTERS FEEDING THE HUNGRY.
That is something that could be discussed. I think that we might come closer to having a level of success if we donated a certain percentage.

The reason a service like this is needed is because some people hunt for racks. Those who would be a part of a group like this would tend to be people who hunt for food for their own table so having them hunt under a requirement that they lose all of the meat would probably work about as well as having other hunters hunt under the requirement that they don't take any pictures and the rack gets given away.

Definitely a great direction to put a lot of thought into though.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
I think to be a serious entity....the "group" must obtain about a million dollar liability insurance policy, covering the entire state....since a club insurance may not cover you on their property...:wink:

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
That is something that could be discussed. I think that we might come closer to having a level of success if we donated a certain percentage.

The reason a service like this is needed is because some people hunt for racks. Those who would be a part of a group like this would tend to be people who hunt for food for their own table so having them hunt under a requirement that they lose all of the meat would probably work about as well as having other hunters hunt under the requirement that they don't take any pictures and the rack gets given away.

Definitely a great direction to put a lot of thought into though.

Thanks for the suggestion.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I'm a meat hunter. If I'm burning a tag, I'm eatin' something.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I have been trying to thin the does down for 3 years and have had very little success no-body wants to kill a doe and that's all I hunt is Doe Meat....:up:..to many racks hanging now.......:banghead:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.