Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching KVD tonight catch 12 bass in 30 minutes and take a 30-pound lead to start Period 3 of the Stage Four Championship Round.

Few weeks ago I fished Table Rock, a small tournament. Fishing was off that morning, heavy fog, flat calm. 1 pm weigh in and at noon, I had 1 keeper in the boat. Tournament over, right?

I was motoring, and I pulled into a series of docks in deep water. As we circled the front of that 42' deep dock, my uncle (he fished slower than I do) drifts a lure behind us and hooks up with a Kentucky.

That began about 45 minutes of catching one right after the other. They were stacked up on that dock and we kept the 5 biggest ... in 45 minutes, we won the tournament off the corner of one dock. We must have caught 30 fish in 45 minutes - it was ridiculous.

What crazy ending have ya'll had that won (or lost I guess) tournaments?

·
Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07
7,605 Posts
Fished the Camden FD Local 1373 derby this past Saturday on White Oak. I run a small derby on White Oak every Thursday Night. I have zeroed the last two and its been 10lbs or less and not a limit out of 10 or 12 boats. Fishing has just been brutal. I was supposed to pour concrete in LA for my paw in law Saturday but the rain messed that up so last minute me and bro in law jumped in the FD derby. It rained light to steady all day. I caught a 4.38 pretty early. Added a 2+ pretty quick then it went dead. Around noon I went back to where I caught them and added a less than 2. Fished our tail off the next hour and nothing. From where I was I can make the run back to the ramp in 5 min. I told my partner I wanted to leave 10min to run. We were gonna fish til 1:50. At 1:40 we made a short run to hit another brushpile for 10 min. 1:43 I catch a 3+! Made a couple more casts then hauled tail. Wound up with 13.40, 2nd and 3rd were both 11 something. It would have been awfully tight if I hadn't caught that last one. Never quit.

·
Premium Member
27,138 Posts
Go way back - 1975 or 76. Was going to school at Louisiana Tech. Renting a $40 a month house from an old black man - no heat and air. I was poorer than dirt poor and my roommate wasnt much better off. We had a 14 ft Appleby Jon boat with a Wards Sea King 7.5 motor on it. Fishing Lake D’Arbonne in N La. We had been catching some fish and a tournament upcoming with a $50 entry fee - we decided to fish the tournament. Didnt have $50 but our landlord had a five acre watermelon patch and he told us we could sell fifty watermelons at $1 each and if we won any money - pay him back - if not, so be it. We set up on the side of the road and sold those watermelons in one afternoon. That was a week before the tournament. We were spending every evening fishing and were on them pretty good. Two days before tournament, we hit a stump coming back in. Tilted motor up to replace shear pin and prop was just gone. Couldnt find a prop to fit next day. There was a marina on lake that rented jon boats and motors - $25 per day. Didnt have $25 but landlord told us we could have 25 more watermelons. Sold them the evening before the tournament and got the boat rented early next morning before blast off. Everyone else in a bass boat. Back in those days, no penalty for dead fish - we had an ice chest for fish. Life jackets were required and all we had was seat cushions. They told us to wear them on our back when running. This was in July. It gets hot in Louisiana in July. We caught 8 some pounds or so and werent feeling to good about it. Anyway, it was enough for 5th place and $100. Payed our landlord back the $75 dollars for the watermelons and even splurged and went out to eat at Bonanza. Good times. Was actually just talking to my old roomate on the phone about it last night - he now lives in Georgia.

·
Registered
24,377 Posts
Fished the Camden FD Local 1373 derby this past Saturday on White Oak. I run a small derby on White Oak every Thursday Night. I have zeroed the last two and its been 10lbs or less and not a limit out of 10 or 12 boats. Fishing has just been brutal. I was supposed to pour concrete in LA for my paw in law Saturday but the rain messed that up so last minute me and bro in law jumped in the FD derby. It rained light to steady all day. I caught a 4.38 pretty early. Added a 2+ pretty quick then it went dead. Around noon I went back to where I caught them and added a less than 2. Fished our tail off the next hour and nothing. From where I was I can make the run back to the ramp in 5 min. I told my partner I wanted to leave 10min to run. We were gonna fish til 1:50. At 1:40 we made a short run to hit another brushpile for 10 min. 1:43 I catch a 3+! Made a couple more casts then hauled tail. Wound up with 13.40, 2nd and 3rd were both 11 something. It would have been awfully tight if I hadn't caught that last one. Never quit.

Im gonna see if I can talk B&M into sponsoring me. Y'all can paint B&M as big as you want across the side of my boat. I just need enough money for a live scope. haha

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
My brother and I fished a Coca-Cola company tournament on Degray. I had been on fish for a couple of weeks. We had a pretty good stringer. I don't remember the weight...13-14 pounds. Everybody gets to the weigh in except the two bosses. Scores are tallied, prizes were just about to start being handed out. We had 2nd place tied up. I think it was a $250 payout for 2nd...big money in the 90's. Coke always had good money and prizes. Well here comes the bosses flying in about 5 minutes after last weigh in.
Here was their story...Boss #2 had the primal urge hit on the way back to the ramp. They had left in "plenty of time" to help ready the food. Boss #1 is pure goob, but has a damn nice bass boat. Well...it seems Boss #2 had stepped back in his #2 without knowing it. So, when he gets back in the boat, he tracks #2 from the bow to the seat. Boss #1 gets madder than hell and makes Boss #2 clean every last kernel, which takes 15-20 minutes. That's why they were late and it was enough for the guys(read: subordinates) to let the Bosses weigh in.

Bumped me to third...I was an outsider in this Coke employee tournament, so I kept my mouth shut for my Brother's sake. Then I went to my ice chest and got a 20oz. bottle of Mt. Dew, sat right there and ate their food and chased it with a Pepsi product. I wasn't invited back.

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
I was 4-5th boat heading up the river in a tournament. Water was a little high but I’d run that stretch many many times. I was running around 65-70mph when I clipped a sunken navigation bouy. I started going side ways and when boat caught co angler and I ended up in the floor. Knocked cavitation plate off left side of motor. But we fished it out and didn’t end up in the money. I’ve won some tournaments. And I’ve lost in a whole bunch but I’ll never forget the feeling when I knew we were about to spin that day

·
Registered
120 Posts
This was way back in the early '90's when I was a kid working the marina at Mountain Harbor Resort on Lake Ouachita. There was an older guy, Bo Ard (there's a dock named there for him now) and he fished practically every day out of Harbor. Nice guy, retired from the oil business, and kept his boat on D dock. Back then, McDonald's would sponsor a big bass tournament and the payout was around $20,000-25,000. It was late May/early June when the bass on Ouachita would typically suspend off the points and Bo knew how to catch them so, he entered the tournament. (For you young guys reading this, this was long before livescope, A -rigs, talk of ledge fishing and all that stuff - Bo just had a flasher unit on his old Ranger and knew how to fish). Anyway, he had them patterned and he knew, come that weekend, he was going to draw a check or maybe even win it!. The problem was, he just wanted to be sure...I was working the marina the Wednesday before (there were no off limit days back then) and he came pulling up to the dock that morning...shaking his head...I asked him how he did but already knew what had happened - he just couldn't leave those fish alone!!! I started giving him grief!! lol!! All he had to do was leave them alone and come that weekend, he would cash in!! Bo said he pulled up there just to check if the fish were still there...just to be sure...one cast...one hit...he said when he got it in, it weight 9 lbs 6 oz on his old scale...he looked at me and said "that fish won't hit Saturday...". LOL

He fished that weekend and did pull a 5 + out of there and won like $4500 but, he was right, that big fish wasn't going to hit...

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I wrote this a few years ago.....

I was thinking about some things I have done while fishing to throw off others.

The first deception I remember on my part was back in my early tournament days. I use to take several worms and roll them vigorously on the carpet to make it look like they had been gnawed on by fish. I left them on the deck so others could see them.

I have had fish on and opened the bail or put the reel into free spool to let the fish swim wherever he wanted to go without bending the pole when others have stopped to see how I was doing.

I am sure there are other things I have done to throw others off but I think my best one was on KY Lake. I was fishing my 2nd BFL Regional and out of 200 boats at take off I was #200. I'm talking dead last. I knew most people were running up to 2 hours to their spots but I found my fish about 5 miles from they ramp.

If you have never been to KY Lake there are channel markers that run down both sides of the river. One channel is big enough for barges and is on one side of the lake and a smaller channel is on the other side of the lake. This smaller channel isn't really big enough to pass on safely in my opinion. If you get out of the channel it is way more dangerous the the AR river when it comes to shallow water and things to tear a lower unit off. From the take off at the dam the smaller channel was the closest and it was being used by the majority of the boats.

So there I was dead last in the take off and I just knew the small area I had found was going to be covered up by the time I got there. However, as I followed the pack not a single boat turned into the creek I wanted to fish. My co & I had the place to ourselves all day with the exception of 1 crappie fisherman. We both ended up with limits. I had around 17 and he had around 15 pounds. We had a shot at making the All American.

The next morning take off was done in reverse. Being #200 meant I took off first. Normally in a 200 boat field an early take off is desired but that day I considered it a bad thing. I knew not a single boat going down that smaller channel fished closer than I did and I didn't want to give my hand away. I came up with a plan.

After running at the head of the pack for two minutes I started pointing to the side of the boat trail as I slowed down. My idea was to let others know I was trying to get out of the way since passing was not safe. As I pulled out of the way I hustled to the back deck and opened the battery compartment. I reached inside and pretended to be fixing something as boat after boat passed us.

When there were no other boats around us I took off again and went to my spot. My new co for the day and I had double limits again. And once again no other boats other than the same crappie fisherman.

I ended up in 7th place. Only the top 6 made the All American. On one hand I was bummed because I was so close but on the other I had fished my heart out and done well. Once back home the director called me. He said one of the top 6 decided to drop out of the All American and wanted to know if I was able to fish as an alternate. Oh yea!

I ended up finishing in the top 20. To this day I feel like that little bit of deception had a part in it.

Do you have any tricks you have used? I'm not talking about cheating. I'm talking about outfoxing the other guy.

·
7,605 Posts
Im gonna see if I can talk B&M into sponsoring me. Y'all can paint B&M as big as you want across the side of my boat. I just need enough money for a live scope. haha

I haven't hit TPayne up for that yet.... Figured I'd start light with Shirts and entry fees. Maybe hit him up for a spot lock trolling motor next year!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
7,605 Posts
My brother and I fished a Coca-Cola company tournament on Degray. I had been on fish for a couple of weeks. We had a pretty good stringer. I don't remember the weight...13-14 pounds. Everybody gets to the weigh in except the two bosses. Scores are tallied, prizes were just about to start being handed out. We had 2nd place tied up. I think it was a $250 payout for 2nd...big money in the 90's. Coke always had good money and prizes. Well here comes the bosses flying in about 5 minutes after last weigh in.
Here was their story...Boss #2 had the primal urge hit on the way back to the ramp. They had left in "plenty of time" to help ready the food. Boss #1 is pure goob, but has a damn nice bass boat. Well...it seems Boss #2 had stepped back in his #2 without knowing it. So, when he gets back in the boat, he tracks #2 from the bow to the seat. Boss #1 gets madder than hell and makes Boss #2 clean every last kernel, which takes 15-20 minutes. That's why they were late and it was enough for the guys(read: subordinates) to let the Bosses weigh in.

Bumped me to third...I was an outsider in this Coke employee tournament, so I kept my mouth shut for my Brother's sake. Then I went to my ice chest and got a 20oz. bottle of Mt. Dew, sat right there and ate their food and chased it with a Pepsi product. I wasn't invited back.

Fished some of those in the 80's with my dad and one of the Arkadelphia guys. Glenn Scott I think was his name.

·
7,605 Posts
I wrote this a few years ago.....

I was thinking about some things I have done while fishing to throw off others.

The first deception I remember on my part was back in my early tournament days. I use to take several worms and roll them vigorously on the carpet to make it look like they had been gnawed on by fish. I left them on the deck so others could see them.

I have had fish on and opened the bail or put the reel into free spool to let the fish swim wherever he wanted to go without bending the pole when others have stopped to see how I was doing.

I am sure there are other things I have done to throw others off but I think my best one was on KY Lake. I was fishing my 2nd BFL Regional and out of 200 boats at take off I was #200. I'm talking dead last. I knew most people were running up to 2 hours to their spots but I found my fish about 5 miles from they ramp.

If you have never been to KY Lake there are channel markers that run down both sides of the river. One channel is big enough for barges and is on one side of the lake and a smaller channel is on the other side of the lake. This smaller channel isn't really big enough to pass on safely in my opinion. If you get out of the channel it is way more dangerous the the AR river when it comes to shallow water and things to tear a lower unit off. From the take off at the dam the smaller channel was the closest and it was being used by the majority of the boats.

So there I was dead last in the take off and I just knew the small area I had found was going to be covered up by the time I got there. However, as I followed the pack not a single boat turned into the creek I wanted to fish. My co & I had the place to ourselves all day with the exception of 1 crappie fisherman. We both ended up with limits. I had around 17 and he had around 15 pounds. We had a shot at making the All American.

The next morning take off was done in reverse. Being #200 meant I took off first. Normally in a 200 boat field an early take off is desired but that day I considered it a bad thing. I knew not a single boat going down that smaller channel fished closer than I did and I didn't want to give my hand away. I came up with a plan.

After running at the head of the pack for two minutes I started pointing to the side of the boat trail as I slowed down. My idea was to let others know I was trying to get out of the way since passing was not safe. As I pulled out of the way I hustled to the back deck and opened the battery compartment. I reached inside and pretended to be fixing something as boat after boat passed us.

When there were no other boats around us I took off again and went to my spot. My new co for the day and I had double limits again. And once again no other boats other than the same crappie fisherman.

I ended up in 7th place. Only the top 6 made the All American. On one hand I was bummed because I was so close but on the other I had fished my heart out and done well. Once back home the director called me. He said one of the top 6 decided to drop out of the All American and wanted to know if I was able to fish as an alternate. Oh yea!

I ended up finishing in the top 20. To this day I feel like that little bit of deception had a part in it.

Do you have any tricks you have used? I'm not talking about cheating. I'm talking about outfoxing the other guy.
I haven't been tournament fishing but a few years. About our second year in dad and I pulled up on a point on White Oak and just started slamming them. 5:30 take off and we were culling by 6:15. Stayed there the whole evening. Wound up winning that one, but everyone that passed knew exactly where we caught them. Now I will bounce around. Even stop somewhere there isn't even a brushpile and fish around for 10 min or so before moving on....

·
Premium Member
25,668 Posts
Fished One of my 1St Tournaments on Lake Ouachita.... Guaranteed 1000 Dollars for 1St Place.
I Worked for Eastman Kodak..They had some of the Top engineering in the world..Still do..
One of our contractors made his own Baits..
I was telling him about the Tournament..
He Gave me 7 what is known now as a Gitizts...
2.5 in Big CRAPPIE Tube for Bass.....
Told me figure out how to use them...
I bought a 1/8 Jig Mold from Trader Bills in Hot Springs..
They fit perfectly....
Friday, Saturday and Sunday Tournament..
Draw Tournament format...
Took off Friday morning at Daylite... Got to my spot..Made 10 Cast..caught 7 Bass that Weighed
25 lbs.....11Lbs was 2Nd place..
Saturday took off made 15 Cast on my spot..
Caught 7 Bass that Weighed 18Lbs..
Top 10 Fished on Sunday...
They Put The ( Tournament Director ) I know now..
In the boat With me..They thought I was cheating..
Took off Sunday morning...
Got to my spot.. Harder today but caught 18 Lb bag..7 Fish...
My Boat partner (Tournament Director)caught none.....
Ask me what bait I was using..Had 7 to start out with was down to 3...
Gave him one.gitizt..Rigged it up for him..
He finally caught a couple before looseing it.....

THE GITIZTS WAS BORN..BASS TUBE JIG..
I STILL HAVE MOLDS AND RECIPES TO THIS DAY..

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Did a boat ride along as a Marshall for the BASS Elite series several years ago when they had it in Little Rock.
In order not to use his real name, I had a guy I will refer to as ‘Mike-Ike’.
As a Marshall, you are free to chat about whatever, except fishing, related to whatever area you were in.
I had a vested interest, as the Marshall who was along for the ride, won a new Triton, if their angler caught the biggest bass of the day.
the ever eternal optimist, I of course think I have a good chance, even if this guy is from north of the Mason Dixon. We were back behind on of the islands, down by Redfield. It was Africa hot.
Mr Mike-Ike was catching a few back there. Quite fascinating to watch and take mental notes on how that level of fishing guys approach things. Anyhow, he hooks into a good one. He is quite an animated person while catching and attempting to land a fish. You wouldn’t want your Sunday school teacher in the boat with you. Selfishly, I am only interested in him getting this fish in so I can get a boat out of the deal.
He gets the fish to the side of the boat. She’s a big ole girthy gal. Seven-eight pounds maybe. As luck would have it, she had other ideas. She broke off at the boat. At that point it was like the record player stopped at the dance. He looked up at me. All I could say was ‘ooooh.....’. Then the ‘rage monster’ came up. He took his rod and started swinging it like a baseball bat at the driver console. Now that 7’ sucker has some reach. I am dang near on the motor trying to avoid shrapnel. The rod is splintering. The console glass is busting and he’s like a Tasmanian devil! After he has literally broken his rod down to the grip, he slings it in the water. Mental note made, 12’ off bank, willow tree, log....check.
My next comment was simply ‘really?’. He didn’t say anything for a bit, but finally regained his composure.
I have since ridden with Dean Rojas, Skeet Reese, and a few others. None of those guys were as exciting.
I went back. Didn’t find the rod/reel. I even got down in the water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts