Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't seen this brought up on here. What's your thoughts on this?

http://www.agfc.com/!userfiles/pdfs/reports/2009-10_PublicMtgPresentation.pdf

Pages 22-23.

Telephone Game Check
(deer/turkey only)
• Benefits to Telephone Game Check

Convenience to the hunter

Less cost (manpower, fuel, material)

Faster lookup for
enforcement

Quicker results
Cleaner more reliable data

Telephone Checking Options
• Option 1: Discontinue all check stations and
deer camps in the check sheet program in
favor of telephone checking.
• Option 2: Phasing out of check stations and
deer camps in the check sheet program and
phasing in telephone checking.
• Option 3: No change.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Looks like they're making it easier every year to tag that buck as a doe, but that's just my uneducated opinion. :rolleyes:

I remember, back in the good ol' days, when we had to take our deer to an actual check station and a real live person would ACTUALLY LOOK AT THE DEER to make sure it was what the hunter said it was.....maybe that's not PC now days though. :whistle:

.270Win

·
Administrator
41,133 Posts
I like it because it makes it more convienent.

If someone wants to cheat the system theyll find a way no matter how its done.

You think people cant/dont cheat on camp check sheets?

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
I like it because it makes it more convienent.

If someone wants to cheat the system theyll find a way no matter how its done.

You think people cant/dont cheat on camp check sheets?
Yep, they cheat anyway. But this just makes it easier....much more convenient though, I'll agree to that.

.270Win

·
Registered
14,411 Posts
Looks like they're making it easier every year to tag that buck as a doe, but that's just my uneducated opinion. :rolleyes:

I remember, back in the good ol' days, when we had to take our deer to an actual check station and a real live person would ACTUALLY LOOK AT THE DEER to make sure it was what the hunter said it was.....maybe that's not PC now days though. :whistle:

.270Win
The check stations I've been to rarely get out and look at the deer. I've used MO's telecheck system when I've turkey hunted up there. It's simple enough. Cheaters will cheat regardless. There's already internet checking so, the option to cheat is already there.

One big plus that I can think of, if I was hunting in a wilderness area, and I could get on a ridgetop with cell reception, I could check my deer or turkey on the phone and not have to pack out to be legal.

The only drawback in my eyes, is losing the opportunity to show off a little or having the place to congregate. I remember when I was a kid, I always liked stopping in the check station to at least see what folks have killed.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
The check stations I've been to rarely get out and look at the deer. I've used MO's telecheck system when I've turkey hunted up there. It's simple enough. Cheaters will cheat regardless. There's already internet checking so, the option to cheat is already there.

One big plus that I can think of, if I was hunting in a wilderness area, and I could get on a ridgetop with cell reception, I could check my deer or turkey on the phone and not have to pack out to be legal.

The only drawback in my eyes, is losing the opportunity to show off a little or having the place to congregate. I remember when I was a kid, I always liked stopping in the check station to at least see what folks have killed.
I like to see whats going on at the check station also but I guess we could just hang out at the coffee shop longer. I would take the phone check in any day over having to load up and go into town but I think .270 is on to something when he says they will check the bucks as does. Those people probably wouldn't check it either way unless they had to..........

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I think it would reduce poaching more than you think.

As it is now, you can ride around with a tagged (but unchecked) deer until you get to a station and check it or get home and check it on the internet.

If you have to do a call-in check, you better have a checked deer before it leaves the ground. :up:

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
I think it would reduce poaching more than you think.

As it is now, you can ride around with a tagged (but unchecked) deer until you get to a station and check it or get home and check it on the internet.

If you have to do a call-in check, you better have a checked deer before it leaves the ground. :up:
By golly, you've got a dang good point there! Ok, I hereby officially change my vote. :up:

.270Win

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
This is the first year Louisiana has ever had to tag deer. We have tags and a deer harvest card attached to our license. The deer harvest card has the 6 numbers that's on the deer tags. You have 3 antlerless tags and 3 antlered tags. After you kill a deer you have 72 hours to call an 800 number to report your harvest. This is all new to me, but it seems to work. As far as reporting a doe for a buck I guess you could, but you'd better not have that extra doe tag on you that you used on the buck. All the WO would have to do is call the 800 number and ask what you've called in.

·
Moderator-Muzzleloading
1,991 Posts
Tagging the deer to "transport" it would not change...only the "checking" operandi changes.

You will still have the "24 hour to check" thingy....I think.:cool:
Unless there is a misprint in the Deer Camp, DMAP rules we have to check our deer within two hours of kill. I figure it was not a misprint and abide by the rule.

Question.......does phone checking of deer include data such as weight? antler index?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.