Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I started this thread to help others like me that have never teal hunted. I was wondering if I needed to go out and get a bunch of new teal blocks or would my mallard ones do the trick?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'm no expert, but my teal shoots have been very similar to a dove shoot. Other than, the water, hip boots, steel shot, and smaller limits, it was pretty much just like dove hunting. I bought some teal decoys, and I hate to admit this, but I even bought a Duck Commander teal call. I if could find them, you could have them. I wouldn't even tote your mallard decoys out there. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
It's been several years since I've teal hunted but it was always my experience that teal don't really care what kind of decoys you have. We used mallard decoys for years before we tried teal decoys and never had any problems. I think the most important aspect of teal hunting is scouting. They tend to prefer only certain holes and aren't like the big ducks when it comes to persuading them to come in to a place they have never used before. Just my $.02 worth.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
You can use your regular decoys.
Find where they want to be.
Practice your shooting their fast.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
All I gotta say is you got to lead them thangs a long ways because their landing speed is pretty swooft. Reckon flaps could help that. I love the sound their little webbed feets make when they "put their landing gear down." :biggrin:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've seen them decoy very well and I've seen them not decoy at all. I would for sure take some kind of decoys. Sometimes I think they are flying so fast they can't tell what kind of decoys they are. If you've never been, take plenty of shells.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Skeeter dope!!!!! And plenty!! For some reason the same places teal like... skeeters like!!! Them and cottonmouths!!!

And scout..... scout..scout!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts