Taxidermy - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by THExONE, Dec 11, 2012.

1. THExONE

THExONE Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting

I decided to try my hand at taxidermy and think I did a pretty dang good job. I picked this pose because it seemed to be the most realistic.

I wanted to post it and get some honest feedback. I am thinking one or two more and I will be able to open up my own shop.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

2. tgooch

tgooch Moderator Supporting Member

I'd be the first customer in line

3. Passthrough

Passthrough Account Suspended

:fit::fit::fit::fit::fit:

I don't think you need to practice anymore. You've got it nailed. I love how you captured his aggressive nature.

4. turkeyhunter

turkeyhunter Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<

5. BayouMetoBoogie

BayouMetoBoogie Well-Known Member

He looks like... well I'll be nice..

6. THExONE

I feel that you all are not being honest and are just pulling my chain with the laughing. Also, I don't think I could have "nailed" it on my first try.

Do you think I should adjust the eyes? What do you think are the flaws if any? Just looking for some honest feedback, not trying to start a joking around thread.

thanks

7. Passthrough

Serioulsy, I wouldn't change a thing. He really looks like he must have been the dominant cat in the area. Love the pink nose. Is it for sale?

8. jdrake19

jdrake19 Well-Known Member

Man thats a lot better than I could have done on my first try. The eyes might be a little off but if you put a butterfly on its nose it will look a lot more natural.

mr4pt likes this.
  9. Passthrough

I'm really most impressed that you were able to take such a mature cross eyed cat here in Arkansas. Those cross-eyed cats, ecspecially the pink nosed variey, are usually very cautious and mostly nocturnal.

Now seriously, what would it take for me to buy that thing for my office?

Did you train in Kentucky? Guy did a very similar mount a few year back in Kentucky. and ironically, on a very similar looking cat

10. 10pointman

10pointman Moderator Staff Member

Ok,Im being brutally honest.His eyes look bugged out,His ears arent standing up straight,and something about his face looks screwy.
    But its good for a first try.
    Im comparing it with JustinN's cat in the Taxi Forum.

11. THExONE

Thank you for the honest feedback. This Passthrough guy just doesn't like me and tries to get me riled up.

I will see about adding a butterfly but I am scared that might take the edge off it. I wanted it to have that rough, edgy, bobcat look.

I am thinking about putting it just inside my door at the house. I bet everyone will jump when they see it thinking it will bite them. I can't wait.

12. y hunt

y hunt Super Moderator Staff Member

With cats the ears and eyes are key. The eyes need to be set back a little futher and show less of the yellow and the ears up and back a little more.

13. THExONE

I have seen his cats. They are not bad but I really like the "wazzzzzup look" I gave mine. Kinda like try me punk, I dare ya. I like to keep them edgy.

14. Passthrough

I got a deer head over at Chipmunks now. He said its going to take him over a year to finish. If you can get my mount done in 2 or 3 days (just guessing here) then I will go pick it up from him and bring it to you. Then we can talk about how much its gonna take to get that cat mount away from ya

15. THExONE

I would be happy to give it a go for you. I have limited experience but would love the practice. Deer look easy.

Also I don't think I will ever sell my first piece. It took me 8 months to get the cat to look this good so I don't plan to do another cat for a while.

16. bmccullough1

bmccullough1 Well-Known Member

My wife's cat gets a look on it face like that when it is buzzing on catnip! I LIKE it!! It isn't perfect but that is what I like about it.

17. THExONE

Thanks, I bet I would like your wifes cat, sounds like a fun one.

I didn't have any of that putty or whatever they use to fix the nose so I just used some hubba bubba original. I think that for what it is it turned out ok.

18. Passthrough

Just gonna bring this back up. Can't get over how great it looks. Man, vicious

19. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    Did you do btech's fox from a couple of days ago??

20. Passthrough

I think he did. They were originally supposed to be a dual mount where they were about to fight each other. I think this one just turned out to mean looking. Needed to stand alone.