Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a taxidermists and I ran across this mount idea. I think if I did one of these I would close the eyes more on the second mount and make it look more dead but you get ths idea. I honestly like it but I want your honest opinions.
Photograph White Font Liver Terrestrial animal
Dog breed Carnivore Dog Companion dog Toy

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
JMO- It doesn’t do it for me, I guess I like to see the actual size of a bear. It gives you a pretty good idea what your up against when it’s on the back 2…..JMO

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your thoughts. I was thinking if a person has killed a couple bears already and already has say a rug or a lidesize mount and then kills a not so big bear and wants to display it but not pay for the price of a lifesize or not take up the room as a rug does. But definitely agree it would look better in a rustic/cabin type man cave with a binch of other mounts and vintage hunting items.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts. I was thinking if a person has killed a couple bears already and already has say a rug or a lidesize mount and then kills a not so big bear and wants to display it but not pay for the price of a lifesize or not take up the room as a rug does. But definitely agree it would look better in a rustic/cabin type man cave with a binch of other mounts and vintage hunting items.
Someone is going to like it and the budget can help make a decision too.

Speaking of price point, what would that mount run opposed to a full body?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
No for me
If i ever killed a bear I prefer the tanned hide on the wall i guess. Its so expensive to have done I mite just take a good picture or two and have one framed idk.
Im sure some would like it.
In general I dont think bear mounts are as nice looking as a deer duck or pheasant is and they cost a lot more to have done but to each their own.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I guess I’m going to be different on this but I like it.
I’ve already got a few tanned hides laying around and don’t see the point of spending all the money to rug one and have it take up half the house. Same thing on a full body mount they take up a ton of room on a good sized bear. Never seen a shoulder mount that I particularly cared for.
I really prefer a bear to have a closed mouth if it’s trying to replicate a live bear. They don’t go around showing their teeth very often.
I’ve wondered what a toile mount would look like on a black bear. With no contrasting colors it may end up looking like a pillow with a head on it.
Vertebrate Natural material Wood Deer Mammal
something like this with the head curled back showing a side profile might look nice.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I’ve seen the pack mounts before and it’s a likeable style. As far as the eyes open or closed, I thought taxidermy was making it look realistic. I’ve never walked upon, or packed out a dead animal that had it’s eyes closed. They stay open.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I’ve seen the pack mounts before and it’s a likeable style. As far as the eyes open or closed, I thought taxidermy was making it look realistic. I’ve never walked upon, or packed out a dead animal that had it’s eyes closed. They stay open.
Yes thats right except the eyes are not fully open in an alert position. The eyes are open to a degree but are relaxed because the muscles are not working which causes the "dead" look.
Organism Carnivore Dog breed Natural material Adaptation
Vertebrate Rabbit Organism Small to medium-sized cats Felidae

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.