Tanning hides with antifreeze???

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by QCDually5.9, Dec 23, 2010.

1. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor

Ran across something on a survival site that mentioned tanning hides with antifreeze. Didn't give much info. Just stated that it was being done. Anyone heard of this method? Details?

2. LGustin

LGustin Well-Known Member

I used this method on a rattlesnake but not sure I would try it on a furry critter. The snake skin still looks OK after 6 years.

3. QCDually5.9

The article did mention tanning snake skins with it too. But one entry stated that it was being used to tan fur hides. Just wondering what info is out there about this.

4. HANDGUNNER

HANDGUNNER Well-Known Member

Never heard of the Anitfreeze bit, but I do know what they use south of the border to tan em!!!!!:whistle::whistle:

5. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member<br>2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Yep me too and boy does that stuff smeel bad:fit:........on the anti-freeze....what brand?:biggrin:

6. HANDGUNNER

HANDGUNNER Well-Known Member

:fit::fit:

The tanned goods hanging on display smell good, but boy when ya get home and open that plastic wrapping on em, it really smeeeeellllssss!!!!

7. QCDually5.9

Ok, after alittle more research, I see why someone has tried tanning with antifreeze. Which leads me to my next question. There is some but very little info on the web about tanning hides with Methylene Glycol Solution (Formalin). Which is a stabilized form of formaldehyde. Does anyone have any info on this technique?

8. John Stiles

I have a book someplace...most of the time it mentions stuff like borax and chrome alum...hair removal is done with a lye solution. I'll hunt for the book.

9. QCDually5.9

Thanks John, I've searched the web looking for answers. Only to find alot of un-explained stuff. I'm looking to properly 'preserve' a hide with fur on. I've found several 'buy this kit from us' sites and I suppose they have good products. But I'm trying to find a 'right way' of doing it with locally obtainable products.

10. John Stiles

Yeah, that may be a little difficult to do, unless you have a good buddy who's a taxidermist. I found the book...it's called: "the home book oftaxidermy and tanning."[by Gerald J Grantz] {Stackpole Books}

11. QCDually5.9

I would like know if it has any info that you would think was noteworthy. Thanks John :flag:

12. newdad

newdad Well-Known Member

as long as you dont mind the hide being stiff when you get done with it, you can use 20 mule team borax from them local grocery store. ive done a few this way and they turn out good but are stiff as a board. if your gonna hang them on the wall when your done it doesnt matter.

13. John Stiles

After doing the borax thing I use sulfonated neatsfoot oil to soften them.....it's what I use to soften up stiff old saddles.

14. John Stiles

I'll read back through it and see or I'll send ya the book.

15. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    Look up brain tanning.

16. dreaves

dreaves Well-Known Member

The chemistery make-up of anifreeze has changed over the past years mainly to protect animals from licking it,and killing them. It has a sweet taste they love. The new anifreeze will not kill the animals so to make a long story short,the new is not as good. Borax makes everything stiff and briddle,but will perserve for a few years. Neets foot oil will help soften some. If I had a beautiful hide that I wanted to look good,I would take it to a taxidermist.Now you know why cats are all over the place.