Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not looking for a high end decoy. I already have some Dakotas that will be the focal point of the spread. Looking for cheaper fills just to make the spread bigger. Plus I am in less of a hunting budget than I have ever been.

·
Registered
72 Posts
How rough you going to be on them? If you need some beaters, Tanglefree refuges are built solid...but they look real cheap in my opinion. If you plan on leaving them out or if you don't bang them around too much, I'd look at Academy's store brand (game winner). Their looks are pretty impressive especially for the price, and are big for standard size, but I got no clue how well they'd take a beating. I was just impressed with their looks in store.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll look at the Academy brand too. I looked at them on the site but am going up there next week. As far as abuse, they wont get much. We pull them up everyday but dont transport them. Just stuff them under brush til the next day.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Might check out the Hard Core mallards. Dick's has them on sale for $34.99 a dozen. I have no experience with them but the reviews are the best I've seen on lower priced decoys.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have looked at the Hardcores and the fella I hunt with all the times has them. Honestly, I don't like that they are all rester heads. That may be a little petty but I can't seem to get over it.

·
Member-2018 Spring Team Turkey Contest Winner
6,928 Posts
How rough you going to be on them? If you need some beaters, Tanglefree refuges are built solid...but they look real cheap in my opinion. If you plan on leaving them out or if you don't bang them around too much, I'd look at Academy's store brand (game winner). Their looks are pretty impressive especially for the price, and are big for standard size, but I got no clue how well they'd take a beating. I was just impressed with their looks in store.
Do NOT buy the game winner decoys the plastic is brittle and will bust.
We bought 2 dozen 2 years ago.. Had the cold front come through during the last split, 8 of em busted and didn't make it through the hunt. Took the texas rigs off the other dozen got my money back

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Flippin if your just wanting to add volume, just get some two liter drink bottles paint them black and fill the gaps. Most of the time, by the time they figure out its not a duck it's too late anyway! I personally feel like the nicer high end decoys are to make us feel good. Two liter bottles worked for years and still do today! Plus if you shoot one what have you lost $1.29 vs $5-15 /decoy.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not really, Doug. One of the main reasons we are wanting new ones is because all of my old are water keel and basically have to be hand placed. I wld like to have weighted so I can just throw them out. Saves time and sweat and warmth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.