Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have Tame Turkeys? I have 3 Rio Grandes.1 Tom and 2 hens.
They were hatched last spring.As of Today they have laid 17 eggs.
The hens are not setting on the eggs very much.
Is this normal?Do they set on the eggs after they are completely through laying?I have read that's the way wild turkeys do it.
Just wondering if anyone has any input on this.

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,212 Posts
From my knowledge wild turkey lay eggs everyday and don't sit until they have a nice big bunch of em...then they sit on em til they hatch...tame turkeys may be different tho

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I really don't know to be honest, but I've heard each time they lay an egg the next time takes longer to lay it and so by the last egg they are setting there till they hatch ?

·
Suspended Indefinitely
2,957 Posts
From my knowledge wild turkey lay eggs everyday and don't sit until they have a nice big bunch of em...then they sit on em til they hatch...tame turkeys may be different tho
Turkeys, quail and phesants lay their eggs, then sit on them all at the same time to get them to hatch at the same time to avoid predators. All the young can get away from the nest with the mother. Same for ducks, geese, etc. Don't know about snake eggs.

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well,something got to getting my eggs at night.I'm thinking a snake but i dont know.

But anyway,I incubated 13 eggs.hens werent setting like they should.
I ended up with one baby turkey!
My kids have been spoiling him and carrying him around.
he thinks they are moma.
I can't believe how fast he is growing,musta got miracle-gro spilled in his water.

I say He, Don't know how to tell with a turkey.

But i'm hoping for a gobbler,That way i'll have 2 gobblin next spring!!!

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I caught my little Gobbler today,looking for his beard.
He's got little one about an inch and a half long.
I was beginning to wonder if he was gonna grow one,but he was only a year old this spring.He's got some spurs about a quarter inch too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts