Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a kid on his first duck hunt tomorrow. Do you guys usually let the kids shoot first and back them up? This is what I planned on doing, just wanting to know if there is a better way.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
This is what I have seen done. Especially if there are singals and doubles. If u get a large group tell them what area is theirs right left or center. Center was what was the kids I hunted with. The main thing is congratulating them when they hit and support the misses. I don't think it should be a lay down every gun but the kids but more of a they get the chance to be the first shot with a slight handicap on the adults. This made me feel like an equal when I was a kid.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Took my 9yr old this morning. I hung my gun on the hook and helped him handle his.
I am still too scared to let him "do it all". Had a good morning, in 500 yds of wading he only fell 4 times!! I had a hold of his suspenders and kept him dry.
Sure would have liked to shoot at a couple of those birds but I had just as much fun watching him shoot.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I take a lot of kids. Most of the time I let kids shoot frist them I shoot. I only let kids have one shell so I don't have to worry about them shooting me or some one else. This get them into the action and keeps us all safe. I am taking my 9 year old now and he got to kill two or three this year.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd rather take a youngun hunting than eat when I'm hungry. It's like living it again for the first time over and over. I agree with wood duck whacker, whatever the kids are comfortable with. Lots of kids I've taken have been just as proud of the ducks that "we've" killed as they were the ones "they" killed.

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
I say everyone shoots, and the kids don't necessarily have to know that they didn't cut a feather. I remember when Dad and I were hunting when I was a kid, it was always what "we" killed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Took my 11 year old son and his friend who is 12 with his dad for the boys first hunt on the 23rd. Dads were content to let the boys have a whack at them first and clean up after they shot. My son killed his first duck with his first shot at about 35 yards and it was a great moment for Dad. He also killed a very nice greenhead speciman that I am letting him mount. Like someone said before I'd rather take a younun hunting than eat when Im hungry.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I took my nephew with for the first time yesterday. He's hunted some but not with me. I'd let him have the first shot then help out. Here what we got. He had a blast.
Thats awesome!!! Looks like yall had a great time!!
I think its great that yall have the opportunity to take kids hunting. I cant wait for the day when I take my daughter in the blind with me, what do yall think is a good age to start getting them into the blind, she's 18 mo's now but I was thinking around 4 or 5 on a nice easy pond shoot that we dont have to wade to. I also told my neighbor that I would take his 15 yr old son hunting but he has never handled a shot gun but has shot pistols and rifles. Do you think I should put him on some clays first just so he can get a handle on what the good ol' scatter gun feels like?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys, thanks for the replies. We had a fun morning, not many birds, but didn't get skunked. Enjoyed creation, and shared stories. I think we have another duck hunter to add to the brotherhood!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts