Tactacam reveal

Discussion in 'Trail Cams and Photography' started by austincrutchfield, Jul 27, 2020.

1. austincrutchfield

austincrutchfield Well-Known Member Staff Member

I got this camera over the weekend, after preordering it a few weeks ago. Put it out yesterday evening and so far it's working like a champ. I think I'm gonna like it better than the 2 spy points I also have, it does take much better pics. Screenshot_20200727-210522_Tactacam Reveal.jpg Screenshot_20200727-205303_Tactacam Reveal.jpg Screenshot_20200727-174406_Tactacam Reveal.jpg

sparkie, mikebri, deer14 and 2 others like this.
  2. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    Pigs destroyed my SPYPOINT and I’m looking for a replacement. How does the rate plan compare?

3. austincrutchfield

$13 for unlimited, $8 for 500 and $5 for 250, spypoint is $15 a month for unlimited

brushcreek likes this.
  4. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    Thanks. I might have to order one.

5. austincrutchfield

Tactacam and thermal sure is hard on hogs Screenshot_20200730-204718_Tactacam Reveal.jpg

6. clover patch

clover patch Member<br>2012 Turkey Hunting Contest Winner<br>20

Can you run multiple cameras on one plan? I think SPYPOINT used to let you run up to 5 on same plan. Not sure if they still do.

sparkie likes this.
  7. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    I got mine in yesterday. It looks like you can view multiple cams on the phone app, but you still have to pay for data on each cam. I am almost certain Spypoint was the same way- you still had to pay for a data plan for each cam.

steven81 likes this.
  8. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    So far, I think I like the Tactacam Reveal better than the SPYPOINT Link Micro I had before. The pics seem clearer, but I wonder how long the batteries will last since it transmits at every pic. I’m testing it on my front porch this week before taking it to the deer lease next weekend.
    IMG_1145.jpg
    IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1147.jpg
    IMG_1149.jpg

brushcreek and sparkie like this.
  9. clover patch

Is there a visible (white flash) when it takes a picture at night?

sparkie likes this.
  10. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    No.

sparkie likes this.
  11. clover patch

Thanks

sparkie likes this.
  12. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I transfer every detection on my spypoint and the lithium batteries last several months - but I dont ever have over 500 pics in a month.

sparkie likes this.
  13. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    Probably 1500-2000 a month for me. I’d be ok if it makes it a month on lithium’s, but it’s too far of a drive to go more than that

brushcreek and sparkie like this.
  14. SwampCat

that is a lot of pictures - dont know how fast that would eat batteries - but the lithiums last four times as long in my spypoint as regular duracel

sparkie likes this.
  15. austincrutchfield

I'm at 855 pics for the week and according to the battery indicator in the bottom of the pics it's still full battery. That's with lithiums. Screenshot_20200802-120744_Tactacam Reveal.jpg

brushcreek likes this.
  16. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    It’s tough to gauge battery strength with lithiums because the voltage doesn’t really drop until they die. They can show 100% and be dead the next day.

brushcreek likes this.
  17. austincrutchfield

for sure! And generally its only 2-3 of the batteries anyways. Take a volt meter and start checking them when ya swap out batteries. Doing that I generally only have to change a couple of them out and not all. Saves a little money that way. I am curious as to how long these batteries will last, but so far so good.

I did have a small issue with my tactacam and left a comment on their Facebook page about it on a Saturday morning and within 30 minutes the CEO messaged me directly and helped sort it out. When I was having issues with my spypoints, it was hard to get a hold of someone and when ya did they were from overseas. Customer service is definitely better on the tactacam side

forkedpoint, Allenn and brushcreek like this.
  18. orangefeetdown

orangefeetdown Well-Known Member

NEA
    That’s good to hear. That was a major reason I returned my spypoint. I had some issues and called their customer service. They filed an IT ticket and were supposed to get back to me. I gave em a week, and decided that was long enough. Still have yet to hear back from them. I’m really considering ordering one.

brushcreek likes this.
  19. SwampCat

You guys that get thousands of pictures a month - how many minutes between pictures and do you take two or three shot bursts?

20. SA Doc

SA Doc Well-Known Member

texas
    Mine is usually a 1-2 minute delay. No burst. I set it up watching a protein feeder.

SwampCat likes this.