Arkansas Hunting banner

Surface drive motors?

16K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Grice 
Not entirely true brother. Plenty of none smooth bottom boats running Pro Drives that are not on the bottom of the lake or marsh. Yes they are not the Ideal combination, but they still work and can be done safely.
You will learn one day. Hulls with chines hang on every stump, log, cypress knee, beaver dam around. They aren't meant to be put on those hulls.

That motor will get you into more shallow places than a standard outboard. When you get there a ribbed hull wont slide off of cypress knees and stumps, but rather catch, hang and tip the boat over. Especially when motoring at slow speeds, which is required when you're turning tharound trees and going over beaver dams. I switched to a smooth hull and mine would slide over anything.
Not fun when you look up and the nose of the hull is 10 feet higher than where you are sitting, and then dumps you and your buddies into ice covered water. Take my word for it.

I have a 35hp go devil surface drive. I love it except for no neutral. I do have one question- when you use the reverse on a mud motor does it not soak you?
The prodrive reverse completely turns the lower unit around, so you have full power reverse to get you out of tight spots. In this position the prop is pointed down the whole time. On MB, keep the prop in the water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.