Arkansas Hunting banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts
Might be the natural process. I used to plant mine around the end of april, first of May and the doves started getting on them mid July and leave them mid Aug. This year, I planted a couple weeks later in hopes they would mature later and the doves would stay on them later.

Discussion starter · #64 ·
My sunflowers are about two feet tall and starting to form a head. I wanted my doves to reach them easier.
I also bushogged some cross patterns in my millet plots to see if it will delay the seedheads from forming.
Also, bushogging cattails will plug a tractor radiator up pretty quick. Watch those gauges.

My sunflowers were a wash. I have hardly any left, but my buckwheat is doing good and wgf sorghum is alright. Been trying to figure what Ill plant this fall in the same spot. Hate to, but I'll have to till it as it was a garden previously and still has the raised rows in it and its twisted ankle waiting to happen. Thinking a wheat and brassicas mix or maybe a late soybean plot then overseed with wheat and brassicas. I won't know until I'm in the coop buying seed...

My sunflowers were a wash. I have hardly any left, but my buckwheat is doing good and wgf sorghum is alright. Been trying to figure what Ill plant this fall in the same spot. Hate to, but I'll have to till it as it was a garden previously and still has the raised rows in it and its twisted ankle waiting to happen. Thinking a wheat and brassicas mix or maybe a late soybean plot then overseed with wheat and brassicas. I won't know until I'm in the coop buying seed...

Did the sunflowers not come up - or did the weeds take them over - what do you think happened to them. Sunflowers are not easy to raise unless planted in a row. Broad casting, I have had some OK years - and some not good years. I think if doves would use millet as well as sunflowers, that would be the easiest thing for a food plotter to grow. The first of my flowers are just starting to mature and dry up.

Did the sunflowers not come up - or did the weeds take them over - what do you think happened to them. Sunflowers are not easy to raise unless planted in a row. Broad casting, I have had some OK years - and some not good years. I think if doves would use millet as well as sunflowers, that would be the easiest thing for a food plotter to grow. The first of my flowers are just starting to mature and dry up.
I had just broadcast into the weeds coming up. Had sprayed a few days before spreading seed and got about a 40/60 on the weed kill with just a backpack sprayer. Some came up, just not as many as I figured would but throw in loss to the birds, and then deer and I figure rabbits would eat also eat the young sunflower plants as well. I had a "few" make it to 12-18" only to be eaten. What's weird is the deer would eat one and leave the one right beside it alone. I'll put it this way, one hungry doe could've eaten every sunflower in one night had she wanted too...

Discussion starter · #69 ·
Went to check my sunflowers and they are in full bloom and only 3 ft. tall.
Checked my millet holes and they are seeded and dying back. I bushogged strips in each patch, to see if it would delay maturing on the cut strips. It is dying back as well. We have had plenty of rain to freshen it up so I'm guessing that cutting it back doesn't work. One millet spot is already flooded and one is not. The one that's not was plagued with doves. Hundreds flushed and swarmed as i drove up to it. It looked like a scene from Argentina.
I'm planning on planting fall food plots soon. Am i right that it is legal to hunt dove around tilled ground that is seeded as long as it's not overly seeded?

Went to check my sunflowers and they are in full bloom and only 3 ft. tall.
Checked my millet holes and they are seeded and dying back. I bushogged strips in each patch, to see if it would delay maturing on the cut strips. It is dying back as well. We have had plenty of rain to freshen it up so I'm guessing that cutting it back doesn't work. One millet spot is already flooded and one is not. The one that's not was plagued with doves. Hundreds flushed and swarmed as i drove up to it. It looked like a scene from Argentina.
I'm planning on planting fall food plots soon. Am i right that it is legal to hunt dove around tilled ground that is seeded as long as it's not overly seeded?
As long as it is considered a "normal farming operation" as per the AR extension office - for example, 240 lbs or less of wheat per acre, top seeded, after Aug 15".

Discussion starter · #74 ·
Rode by the stand of millet, Tues., that had the doves in it and not one dove was there. Dirty birds.
My sunflowers are hanging their heads now but not dried up. Maybe i can get some late season doves after all this corn gets harvested.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.