Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two sides to every story and no doubt sometimes they are slanted to where we look the best. I know in my own experiences with the AGFC most have been good but there are those times when the chowderhead comes out in them. If you could give a couple of tips to the AGFC about dealing with the public, conversing with public, mustering support for themselves and gaining respect what would it be?

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Just My Personal Opinion: the enforcement officers need to foster a base of support from the locals that live in the areas they work in. Develop a straight forward, truthful, ethical approach when in contact with the public. Learn how to be friendly and openly helpful when there is a problem and be willing to do so over and over again and again. Be a good, dependable public servant.
Overall the AG&FC needs to keep the laws and rules as simple as possible.

Big Job and they are doing pretty good 99% of the time. :thumb:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
Treat all the people like they have equal rights, equal IQs, and equal common sense! You may be wearing a badge, but that doesn't lift you up to a throne, remember we are all children in God's eyes!:wink:

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Just My Personal Opinion: the enforcement officers need to foster a base of support from the locals that live in the areas they work in. Develop a straight forward, truthful, ethical approach when in contact with the public. Learn how to be friendly and openly helpful when there is a problem and be willing to do so over and over again and again. Be a good, dependable public servant.
Overall the AG&FC needs to keep the laws and rules as simple as possible.

Big Job and they are doing pretty good 99% of the time. :thumb:
I'd say Sylamore has it right. Only other thing might be that if the pay scale was a little better, they could more easily hire folks willing to invest themselves in the program. Fostering the local contacts and earning a good solid reputation takes time, so they need to offer an officer the chance to develope his job into a career with a future. Just MHO.

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,642 Posts
#1 - quit looking at everyone they encounter as a poacher that just hasn't been caught. While some officers have the right attitude, I have encountered more than one who came across as fully expecting you to be doing SOMETHING illegal.

I agree with an above post - establish relationships with the locals.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Sylamore hit it on the head, the WO's are the face of AGFC for most of us. They are were communication needs to start, but currently it won't work because they more on thier plate than they can handle. I wish they were more like the State Police and have local Troop offices in areas of the state that could be central contact point for that specific area.

Another thing is newspaper articles about what the AGFC is doing. A weekly or monthly article/column in the Dem-Gaz (and or county papers) about is doing and working on or plan on working on.

·
Super Member<br>2006 Photo Contest Winner
995 Posts
#1 - quit looking at everyone they encounter as a poacher that just hasn't been caught. While some officers have the right attitude, I have encountered more than one who came across as fully expecting you to be doing SOMETHING illegal.

+1 right on the money

·
Administrator
81,471 Posts

That is EXACTLY what I was going to type!!

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts

I'd hafta say I agree with this post too:thumb:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Like it has been said before in this thread, the officers are doing what they should the vast majority of the time. For instance, I once knew an officer a couple of counties over from me who had a reputation as being one of those "problem" people at AGFC. I got to know him, even did a ride along with him one night for a story. He did do the networking with the locals. He also took his time, even when he had already put in a full day, to go pick up a roadkill deer or an illegal harvest and pass it along to some needy family he had found somewhere down one of the backroads. Most of the time, from my experience, the AGFC folks get more grief than they are due. I am not saying I always agree with them, though. But, we have to remember that when we are dealing with humans being humans, it is not a perfect world.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Look at the amount of acreage these guys cover and you see how tough their job is and how much they rely on public information to help them. People don't like more government, but that could possibly help.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Who out there has ever given thanks to a WO after they do their business with you? They do not get paid a lot but they will accept a thank you for a job well done. If you are nice and polite to them, 99.9 % will be the same to you.

When you are hurt, lost, or have trouble on your land, these guys are the first to try and get to you. Remember to always thank them for coming and doing their best to help you. Remember that what you give will always come back to you in a bigger and better way. Just because you give them a tip does not mean that they did not hear you. Some things take time to develop aka enforcement issues. I believe that the enforcement guys do an excellent job for the area they are covering. I just wish that there was more of them in the State.

·
Administrator
81,471 Posts
I have many times. You can ask them for information about where to hunt, and they usually seem more than happy to point you in the right direction. I always thank them for the info, and if I see one out, lot of times I'll stop and speak to them.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Sylamore & Ozark Deerslayerhave got it pegged!! Most are good people...just got too much work, and too little pay!!!! Being a Public Servant, is not an easy job, as most of us on here, who are, can tell ya!!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I guess I have been very lucky. Nearly every WO I have ever met was a really down to earth and helpful person. Cordial, respectful and willing to do whatever was required to assist the public and other local and state LE agencies. Most were just "good ole boys" with a tough gig trying to do the bset job they could.

I know there are folks with them who don't fit that description, but all I have ever done is hear about them. I've never actually met one!

I agree AGFC gets it biggest contact through the WO's and that is a shame. I wish there was a way to meet the biologists and have face time with them. They can offer some of the best answers to detailed questions, yet very few of us ever have an occasion to meet these folks. Likewise if they heard more from the locals in the area they serve, they may have some new opinions and suggestions to work with.

I guess in the most rural areas where deer camps rule, there probably is more interaction with the biologists.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
I guess I have been very lucky. Nearly every WO I have ever met was a really down to earth and helpful person. Cordial, respectful and willing to do whatever was required to assist the public and other local and state LE agencies. Most were just "good ole boys" with a tough gig trying to do the bset job they could.

I know there are folks with them who don't fit that description, but all I have ever done is hear about them. I've never actually met one!

I agree AGFC gets it biggest contact through the WO's and that is a shame. I wish there was a way to meet the biologists and have face time with them. They can offer some of the best answers to detailed questions, yet very few of us ever have an occasion to meet these folks. Likewise if they heard more from the locals in the area they serve, they may have some new opinions and suggestions to work with.

I guess in the most rural areas where deer camps rule, there probably is more interaction with the biologists.[/QUOTE]

I agree...but have never seen a Game biologist in my area...but we do have a Local fisheries ofc there, and do see the Fish biologist on a reg basis!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
All experiences I have ever had with WO's has been positive.
HOWEVER, as far as the Commision itself dealing with the public,
complete waste of time, don't even bother calling up there, you'll get a different answer to any question that you have each time you call.:down:

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
HOWEVER, as far as the Commision itself dealing with the public,
complete waste of time, don't even bother calling up there, you'll get a different answer to any question that you have each time you call.:down:

Or worst yet, you never get an answer at all because you get run thru the chain of command & when it is all over after talking to 10 differant people the one person who is suppose to be able to give you correct info just happens to be out of the office or not at work that day!

I have found out that sending an e-mail to the G&F is the best course of action. You will get a response 95% of the time & what ever you are told,correct or not, you at least have it in writting if you have an issue latter!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Just as in the rest of life, I think that they are good people for the most part doing a job that would be much more effiecient with more man-power. However, I do think that they have lost sight of thier priorities. I think that alot of enforcement officers think that thier jobs are to write citations. That is NOT thier job anymore than it is the job of local law enforcement to write tickets. Citations are merely an enforcement tool. I think that too many enforcement officers think that almost all contacts they make must end with the issuance of a citation. It's ridiculous and is hurting the image of the AGFC and undermining the support of the people who support them. Common sense goes along way, but I don't see much common sense in my dealings with AGFC enforcement officers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Another thing is newspaper articles about what the AGFC is doing. A weekly or monthly article/column in the Dem-Gaz (and or county papers) about is doing and working on or plan on working on.
They have a free weekly email newsletter with all their articles that I'm signed up for.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts