Suggestions on a new bow!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by BurleyBuck, Dec 1, 2012.

1. BurleyBuck

BurleyBuck Well-Known Member

Last year was my first year bow hunting so I started small and bought a PSE Stinger with about a 63# draw weight. I tagged out with it last year and have really enjoyed it. That's about all I do now is bow hunt. I just enjoy it more. This year I have only killed one. I shot a good buck Thanksgiving morning and was very disapointed in my arrow penetration. I had this problem a couple of times last year but found the deer. Its just a little more frustrating since this one was a good buck. We tracked him over 2 property lines but the blood finally ran out and we just couldn't seem to find him or get on any blood again. I'm looking for a bow with some more pop to it. I like PSE but have had some issues with it. I'm open to any suggestions. My brother has a Hoyt with about a 70# draw weight that seems fairly easy for me to draw back. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ive been on here for a while but I had to change my username and password because I forgot my other. :biggrin:

Thanks again

2. ol bucky

ol bucky Super Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Take a day, go shoot them all and buy wichever fits you the best. It might be a 400.00 bow or a 1400.00 bow so take a pocket full with ya just in case.

3. BurleyBuck

Thanks! That's part of the issue though. There aren't any decent bow shops around here where I can actually go pick and shoot.

4. Swamp Rabbit

Swamp Rabbit Well-Known Member

Drive to Texarkana. Not that far for ya. He carries PSE, Hoyt, Mathew, and Mission.

5. Martin threshold

I got a new martin threshold. Absolutely love it. Very fast bow. Under 200 bucks also.

6. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

a Zipper recurve ...... shooting traditional is a journey, embark my friend, EMBARK !!

7. SABowhunter10

SABowhunter10 Well-Known Member

Love my bow tech destroyer 350. Shot alot of bows tho before I bought it because each bow fits each person different. Just gotta find the one that best fits you and has the performance you want

8. BurleyBuck

9. WILDMAN44

WILDMAN44 Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to "stir the pot" but #63 is more than enough to get a pass through. It's all about arrow weight/broad head/shot placement. So if you've been making good shots then I'd look at the other two before I went and dropped a ton of cash. Unless you're just wanting a new bow...

10. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree - Ck your setup first. I would bet your bow's advertised speed is higher than mine and I get a pass through almost every time on deer - and that is with a mechanical BH. That being said, I am in the market for a new bow myself - ain't nothing like doing some bow shopping!

11. stick n string

stick n string Well-Known Member

I bought the Bowtech Assassin with its Ready Aim Kill package. That's Octane string, stabilizer, string stop, dampened and even an octane detachable quiver and Hostage rest also by Octane. Comes in either 60# or 70#. I have the 60# and I love it. I can hold it at draw forever and it is dead in your hands when you shoot. After having it tuned in shop it was shooting 320 fps. This bow is simply amazing and was one of the top if not voted the top bows of 2012. The best part is all of this is only $599. I shot the Helim, z7 and several other Hoyt and PSE bows and could not justify spending almost $2000 on a bow that didn't feel as good as the Assassin. I HIGHLY recommend shooting this bow in the shop.

12. stick n string

stick n string Well-Known Member

I did however put a QAD drop away rest on mine. They sold the $150 model to me for $90.

13. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    I agree with SwampCat n Wildman. If your bow is tuned, and your using a good broadhead and arrow and they're not too light, you should get good penetration. I was amazed to see how well my bow would shoot when severely out of tune, but penetration with a broadhead on game was dismal. Tune your bow first, then accuracy and performance on game will come easier.
    '

14. 1/4ing away

1/4ing away Well-Known Member

I live in Stamps. You can shoot my Mathews if you want and see if you like it. However, just like these other have said...your bow is plenty adequate. I get pass throughs with mechanicals at 28/70 so 63 should be fine unless you're shooting a super light arrow and/or you have an even shorter draw length than me.
    The first thing I would question is the hit on the buck. If you trailed him "over 2 property lines" then it was probably just a bad shot. Nothing more.
    How much experience do you have hunting? Trailing blood? Not questioning your abilities, but would love to help you increase your odds.

15. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

Check out Martin bows...Well made, shoot good, and affordable.

16. gbbowhunter

gbbowhunter Well-Known Member

Elite bows are awesome !!

17. BurleyBuck

I had the bow tuned before the season and a new string put on it also. I ordered it straight from PSE ready to shoot. The sight that came on it was horrible, so I bought a TruGlow sight to put on it and love it. I shoot GT XTHunter arrows with Rage 3 blade broadheads. I shot a couple of different broadheads last year and killed deer with them but finally settled on the rage simply because I liked the flight of my arrow better with them. The shot on the buck wasn't a bad shot. Ive had a few of those. I have heard alot of good things about the BowTech bows and I am surely going to look into them. I don't want to spend a fortune.

"1/4ing Away" Thanks man I may take you up on that. Experience tracking and hunting isn't the issue. I've been hunting since I could go with my dad. I'm 36 now.

18. 1/4ing away

I got ya. I just know that I've pushed a couple deer that I shot with a bow and lost them several years ago. I paid $450 or $425 for my Z7 on Archerytalk. You can't beat some deals on there.

19. 1/4ing away

And anytime you want to shoot, we can. I have access to a private 30ish yard indoor range :) with lights.

20. mwmwbm

mwmwbm Well-Known Member

go up and see GFORD in Malvern/bismark. get an obsession :thumb: