Straight Talk vs Verizon

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by gobblegobble, May 16, 2018 at 9:09 AM.

1. gobblegobble

gobblegobble Well-Known Member

Needing some opinions from the experts. Considering changing from Verizon to straight talk. Currently pay $210 with Verizon for unlimited talk, text, and data for 2 phones. Could basically get the same for around $100 with straight talk. My concern is poor reception and slow internet. Please feel free to weigh in with your experiences with straight talk.

2. lilturkeyhunter

lilturkeyhunter Well-Known Member

Iuka
    I went from AT&T to Straight Talk a few years ago. I'll just say this: I'm back on AT&T. I didn't stay on it but a month. Maybe it was where I live. ?

3. outdoorjunkiebj

outdoorjunkiebj Well-Known Member

It works great for me, and straight talk runs off Verizon towers. I have had it for 3-4yrs now, sometimes i think its slower, so i grab my wifes iphone on verizon plan, and it seems to buffer ALMOST as much, but i do think its a little better.

4. bslayer

bslayer Well-Known Member

nea
    Straight talk uses all of the major carriers. There should not be any difference. If you have a gsm phone, it will be at@t service. If you have a cdma phone, it will be verizon service. You can also get sprint service if you want. I have been using ST for years and will never pay those ridiculously inflated prices again, for the exact same service. The phone itself has everything to do with what kind of signal you get. (along with strength of tower signal.) You can lay 2 identical phones down beside each other and 1 may have a full signal, and the other only have a single bar. Also turn your phone off and let sit for a few minutes occasionally. Don't know why it helps, but it does take care of some lagging issues.

lilturkeyhunter likes this.
  5. lilturkeyhunter

lilturkeyhunter Well-Known Member

Iuka
    I didn't change phones, just carriers. I was not pleased with it, but I do live in the land of spotty service. It seemed ST lagged a lot.?

6. I changed to ST 5 years ago. With unlimited it uses any tower or so I was told. Do plenty of driving from Hardy to Lavaca and Hot Springs and have better reception than I had with AT&T for 15 years.

7. orangefeetdown

orangefeetdown Well-Known Member

NEA
    The Verizon service in your area and around Norfork is absolutely awful. My wife and both of her parents have AT&T and they’ll have full service when we’re at their place up there and I’ll have almost zero, barely can get a phone call out.

8. Allenn

Allenn Well-Known Member

According to there commercials it all runs on the same towers so shouldn’t be any different. If you have a iPhone or something now you own you should be able to change it over with no issues.

9. gobblegobble

gobblegobble Well-Known Member

Appreciate all the responses. I'm pretty displeased with Verizon currently so we will prob be giving ST a try. Hopefully we don't regret it!

10. Luv2hunt

Luv2hunt Well-Known Member

My manager rode with me yesterday on the route. We both have Verizon and same phone, his is out of Harrison and mine out of Mountain Home. Shouldn’t make a difference but I got signal where he didn’t and he did when I didn’t. I get good service in the Norfork area and most places in northern Arkansas, step foot in southern, mo and service falls off a cliff.

11. Tal_H._Branco

Tal_H._Branco Well-Known Member Supporting Member

GG: Let us know how that works out. Tired of service we've got. Good luck.

12. Luv2hunt

Luv2hunt Well-Known Member

The biggest complaint I’ve heard about ST is being throttled down after a certain amount of usage. Even with an all inclusive unlimited plan.

13. ararslinger

ararslinger Well-Known Member

Used St in the past with no problems, currently using cricket which uses att towers. If at&t will work in your area you might check some of their deals

14. Hogbreath

Hogbreath Well-Known Member

Just went from ST to Verizon, seems like ST worked better for me. I haven't been impressed with Verizon at all, if things don't improve, may be changing back.

15. orangefeetdown

orangefeetdown Well-Known Member

NEA
    That’s so weird. Guess it really does depend on the individual phone.

16. olmuleskinner

olmuleskinner Well-Known Member

Being from two different areas, it could be the PRL version. The next time you two are together, go to settings, then about phone, then status of phone, you should see your PRL version there. It effects which towers your phone use.

Luv2hunt likes this.
  17. Mule man

Mule man Well-Known Member

My wife and I have Total Wireless. We have 15 gigs and unlimited talk/text on 2 phones and it's $62 a month tax and all. We have a wifi at our house so we rarely use over 2 or 3 gigs of data a month. We had Straight Talk before but like Total Wireless just as well and it is cheaper.

Pickloop likes this.
  18. davglo35

davglo35 Super Member<br>2015 Spring Turkey Team Contest Wi

Love straight talk. Much cheaper and same service.

Duckwisperer and N8HARNER like this.
  19. N8HARNER

N8HARNER Well-Known Member

I have straight talk and can watch most videos with a single buffer and only have one bar at the house. I was with at&t and got a phone that runs of att towers. I couldn't tell a bit of difference. Straight talk also has a bring your own phone kit so you can keep your phone

20. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I've used St talk for 5or6 years. Switched from ATT. I don't surf much at all on the phone.
    For my use they are exactly the same.