Stolen Game Camera!

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by largemouth, Dec 23, 2012.

1. largemouth

largemouth Well-Known Member

I recently had my game camera, card, and battery pack stolen.
    I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or solutions for keeping this from happening again?

2. Lungbuster84

Lungbuster84 Well-Known Member

Masterlock pythonlock!! I put them on all mine and majority of them are on public land and never had one bothered

3. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    The only thing that would concern me about the lock is that if they can't get it off the tree they may destroy it just for spite. If they are a theif they have already proven they have no morals or respect for other people's property.

4. bottomlands

bottomlands Well-Known Member

I had two stolen last year, recovered one by following the atv tracks to the guys house a couple miles away, but since then I've built heavy duty boxes with three lag bolts in the tree with a 3/8 chain welded to the box and locked to the tree as well!! The hole in the front is only large enough for the cams senceing to work.. I no u can buy boxes for most cams but they are light duty to me!! At least now if they want it or even want to destroy it it will take them some work an mabe my SD card will be salvageable with there pic on it!!!

5. Shwack

Shwack Well-Known Member

Put a junk cheap one, or one that does not work in plain view. Put a good camera in an tree up high overlooking the junk camera! I figured out who some trespassers were by hanging one high in a tree one time. It takes some tricky set-up to angle it down but it worked for me.

6. Shwack

Shwack Well-Known Member

7. largemouth

Thanks guys for the advice

8. miketyson26

miketyson26 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

$100 cameras...

I built heavy steel mounts for my cameras for a long time. And i've known guys who've had expensive cameras trashed. So now I refuse to spend more then $100 on a camera. Because as I see it? A $100 dollar camera hanging from the side of a tree is the same as hanging a $100 dollar bill on a tree and walking away from it.

I guess that means i'll never have them fancy Cudde Back pictures but I like my Tasco pictures just fine. And I don't lose sleep over hanging it on public land.

Miketyson26 :flag:

9. bayoubuckhunter

bayoubuckhunter Well-Known Member

Don't know if there is such thing as a thief- proof camera box. I am a welder and decided to build my own cam boxes. I used 1/4 by 2 1/2 inch angle iron, welded in together to form a square over the front of my cam. Welded another one to fit over the back of my cam and welded two metal hinges on them to create a box that the cam fit inside, then welded two eyelets on both the front and back halves. Put it up at the metro with a heavy duty cable and a octagon shaft master lock only to find someone had to show me that wasn't enough protection...... Yep, they took cam, lock, box, cable and all. Honestly thought you would have to cut the tree in order to steal it but some sorry a** thief proved me wrong. I guarantee they were tired after walking a mile carrying a 10 pound camera box

10. faithfularcher

faithfularcher Well-Known Member

to many parasites in this world ,,,,,. What really is dissappointing is they are hunters. I use to hold hunters to a higher standard of character but since have learned some of the sorriest individuals that walk this earth hunt . Makes me SICK!!! Between the thiefs and some waterfowlers it is about as low as you can get .

11. bottomlands

bottomlands Well-Known Member

The sad part is it prob within 100 yd where u had it throwed in a treetop!

12. demented

demented Well-Known Member

I gave up on cameras. They vanished about as fast as I put them up. I thought I had them hid pretty good but somehow they are found and taken. These thieves need to be horse whipped. I'd be glad to do the job.

13. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    They are theives that hunt.

14. mlsouth

mlsouth Well-Known Member

Check your neighbor's house. I had my camera stolen out of my back yard. I found it sitting on a patio chair in my neighbor's back yard. They erased all of the pictures, but I was able to recover them. I hate thieves.

15. ArkyVarminter

ArkyVarminter Well-Known Member

What if you had a small note or sign attached to the camera stateing that they're on camera and the picture has been sent to an email address? Wonder if this would stop them from stealing it? Just a thought.

16. largemouth

Do they make cameras that send the pic to an email? If so, what is the brand and model?

17. NorthUnit

NorthUnit Well-Known Member

There are a few out there that send pics to other cell phones (via text). For AT&T you would set it up like another phone ($9.99 monthly) + Text plan. Not sure about other carriers.

Covert makes one and another is one called a Little Acorn. You can google them.

18. largemouth

Thanks a bunch

19. Selfbow

Selfbow ...

Several cameras will send the images to a secondary storage device that you can hide up to 300 yards away. They might steal your camera but you will have a pic of them stealing it.