Stock question

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by Damascus-Doug, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Damascus-Doug

Damascus-Doug Well-Known Member

I have been looking for a new stock for the gun I am building. I am building a 243 using a 28 inch Brux barrel with a 1 in 7.5 twist using a Remington 700 short action. I have found a stock that I think I want to purchase but it is listed as a 700 bdl short action magnum. Does anyone know if there is any differences between the 700 short action and the 700 short action magnum. I am using a heavy sporter barrel and don't mind if I have to widen the barrel channel. I just don't know if there is a difference in the actions that would make the stock not work. Anybody know the answer to this?

2. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

Those things were made for short magnums. They will work with a short action. Since you're using probably a #3 contour barrel it will work. I've used two of the Remington Boone&Crockett short magnum stocks for standard short action Remingtons.

3. Damascus-Doug

I am just trying to decide if I want a thumbhole stock or not. The barrel is a #4. I talked myself out of a bull barrel since I already have a 308 with a bull barrel and it gets heavy after walking all day :biggrin:

4. Carr.45

Carr.45 Well-Known Member

5. Damascus-Doug

I looked at thos Featherweight Boyds but this part "• Internal material of the forend and butt have been removed to reduce weight NOT durability" makes me wonder how much they have removed from the butt.

6. Carr.45

Carr.45 Well-Known Member

Good point D-D, that had not crossed my mind... I would like to know where exactly they removed it from the stock.