Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Good question. I haven't reloaded in several years (but am resuming this yr.). I would think it would be hard on the dies, maybe not the carbon dies. Might be worth looking into. What kind of steel casings do you have?

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
53,801 Posts
I wouldn't think so....they'd wear out your dies, and besides they have varnish to keep them from rusting and that would come off and foul up your biddness!:eek: :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Trying to resize steel in a steel die will wear your dies out quickly. The varnish will also wear off, causing them to rust and lose structural integrity. Also, a lot of steel cases are berdan primed so it would be useless to even try. As cheap as surplus ammo and once-fired boxer-primed brass is for the various 5.56 and 7.62 chamberings, I wouldn't bother.

·
Select Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest W
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I was just curious. The ammo I purchase for my 9mm Makarov uses steel casings.

·
Administrator
73,278 Posts
I have heard of people reloading Wolf steel cases in 9mm and 223, but I wouldn't do it. It's not worth ruining a set of dies trying to save a few pennies.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Most Berdan primed--I don't know of anyone reloading them. I would not even bother. :(=:usa:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts