Stealthycat elk hunt 2017 - start to finish

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by stealthycat, Jun 2, 2017.

1. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

big group of cows / calves in the 12,000' range

DSCN8735.JPG

Allenn and arkrem870 like this.
  2. stealthycat

tent at around 11500

DSCN8724.JPG

arkrem870 likes this.

3. whetstone

whetstone Well-Known Member Staff Member

I have to admit, I'm a little jealous. We're going to Este park and then Leadville with some friends next week, but there won't be any hunting or camping.

How's the weather been? I've been watching it, and it looks like it swings from 30's to 70's every day.

Is there any particular reason for pitching camp in that meadow instead of under the trees? Fire or falling limbs, or just looked better?

Have you done any fishing in those small streams?

4. arkrem870

arkrem870 Well-Known Member

I haven't been in the high country for a couple months. Ready to get back out there!

5. stealthycat

that particular spot looked the best for if it poured rain :) it dropped off to the left into a stream bottom

we hiked the back end/trail of Turquoise lake at Leadville - nice hike, gorgeous lake up there

it can get warm in the day, even at 12,000 feet ... hiking in shorts and tshirt

BRING BUG SPRAY - the flies/mosquitoes were awful !

It rained heavy on us at Wolf Creek, in Leadville, at Dillon ...... Mt Evans too, but the Red Feather lakes area west of Ft Collins no rain on us

6. stealthycat

ideally .... I need to hike into this area I've hunted before, and there be no outfitters there, and no camps at all

if this happens .......... I think I stand a good chance at killing a bull close to camp

if there are hunters in there, my hunting gets way harder. if there are outfitters, it gets extremely hard and I will have to move away from there, farther back into the wilderness area and I don't want that if I can avoid it

This week I'd hiked, did bleachers, played hard RB ..... cardio is good, back and shoulders needs more conditioning to heavy pack though. Feet in good shape, knee has flared up a bit but manageable

7 weeks out

7. stealthycat

this is my son in the burn area .... it burned almost everything :( this was heavy, dark old growth timber 3 years ago DSCN8721.JPG

8. stealthycat

45 days out

a friend I know out west says southern Colorado isn't as good as it once was, heavily hunted, outfitters everywhere

I might take the first legal bull if its that hard hunting vs waiting for a nice bull. We'll see

I have a backup area to hunt .... but no backup backup

Hiking every afternoon with pack, 45-60 minutes, bleachers / hills ... playing RB 3-5 times a week

brushcreek likes this.
  9. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

Stealthy, today I managed to obtain a last minute muzzleloader bear tag in southern Colorado, so I'll be going through the same process you are. September hunt, packing in, muzzleloader, steep, rough country. I'll be watching your thread. Might start one of my own. Time to get out the pack.

brushcreek likes this.
  10. ray porter

ray porter Well-Known Member

my backs out and i sit here wasting away instead of running. bad.

keep up the work you will be fine.

the innernet has put a ton of backpack hunters in the woods in the last 5 years. the year before last i passed 4 back pack camps a mile in[ all with in sight of the other.

11. stealthycat

Thenarwhal I thought about trying to acquire a bear tag - my plate is full enough with an elk I imagine

What area you hunting and dates ?

12. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

Dates are 9-9--9-17. Four unit license in the southern part of the state, goes from the NM border, north to Pueblo, west for a couple of counties. Big area. Trying to narrow it down with some calling and research. My buddy lives in the area and he's going, too. He's doing the ground scouting.

brushcreek likes this.
  13. stealthycat

I put chains in my pack and hiked river trail at 2 pm today,

Just about messed up bigtime.

#1 I had cotton socks
    #2 the pavement was very hot

Anybody with any sense knows that combo = feet issues. Just as I got back, I felt the burn in the pad on my right foot. I don't think its bag - another 1/2 mile and it might have been.

14. Stealthy I see you on the bowsite forum...
    What days are you hunting?
    We go the 15th till end of bow season!

Unit 421 grand mesa !
    Had really good luck in that area last several years! Didn't draw a mule deer tag though

15. stealthycat

7-17th or so

My cardio is good, I did a solid hour hills hike tonight, showered and them my right groin/hip area tightened

Damn this 48 years old !! Its ALWAYS something new hurting :(

16. amhoon77

amhoon77 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize this thread had changed locations on me!

With 43 days to go I switched it up last week to doing cardio M-W-F and weights T-TH. Plus on saturdays I do 7 miles with weighted pack

Changed the routine up today on the stair master. Did the "Kilimanjaro" workout for 35 mins. 98 flights of stairs. I've been doing incline treadmill all along and have maxed out the level on it and have had to increase mph to keep the heart rate up. It's doing 9.5-15% slope

Ordered a new tent from Spain on eBay and really like it so far (discontinued model but was new). Luxe sil mini peak. Met all my criteria: floorless, uses 1 trekking pole, optional bug nest for use in Arkansas, sub 2lbs (1.25 for exterior, .8 for bug nest I won't be taking), big enough for 6'1 and gear or 2 people tight. They still make this model but it's poly and a bit heavier.

ImageUploadedByArkansas Hunting1501735319.146204.jpg

ImageUploadedByArkansas Hunting1501735342.811917.jpg

Got my first lite cipher in today. I ordered the black Ovis leggings and crew shirt. FL quarter zip chama hoody, corrugate guide pants, uncompaghre puffy. Excuse my ugly mug

Without puffy

ImageUploadedByArkansas Hunting1501735474.802756.jpg

With puffy

ImageUploadedByArkansas Hunting1501735486.629009.jpg

17. stealthycat

you're geared up !!

18. amhoon77

amhoon77 Well-Known Member

Found a new 7 mile loop I can do in mine and the surrounding neighborhood that will give me more time going up rather than half down and half up. 5:30 am is gonna come early tomorrow!

19. stealthycat

I real loaded my pack yesterday ....uh ..... taking enough gear for 6 days in aint light

I'll weigh it tonight, I'm guessing its 35# as it site, and I'll add another 5-7 pounds too ..... but for a 4-5 mile walk in, that I can take all day to walk I suppose I can suffer it

I mean I am not taking luxury stuff .... my tent isn't ultra light at probably 6-7 pounds
    sleeping bag/mat

food isn't light, bone saw I will not leave behind, misc items .....

I pack light I think, and this aint going to be light after all

20. brushcreek

brushcreek Well-Known Member Supporting Member

stealthy why take a bone saw? you can cut around the knee and elbow joints to get your quarters separated

luckless likes this.