Stealthycat elk hunt 2017 - start to finish

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by stealthycat, Jun 2, 2017.

1. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

big group of cows / calves in the 12,000' range

DSCN8735.JPG

Allenn and arkrem870 like this.
  2. stealthycat

tent at around 11500

DSCN8724.JPG

arkrem870 likes this.

3. whetstone

whetstone Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I'm a little jealous. We're going to Este park and then Leadville with some friends next week, but there won't be any hunting or camping.

How's the weather been? I've been watching it, and it looks like it swings from 30's to 70's every day.

Is there any particular reason for pitching camp in that meadow instead of under the trees? Fire or falling limbs, or just looked better?

Have you done any fishing in those small streams?

4. arkrem870

arkrem870 Well-Known Member

I haven't been in the high country for a couple months. Ready to get back out there!

5. stealthycat

that particular spot looked the best for if it poured rain :) it dropped off to the left into a stream bottom

we hiked the back end/trail of Turquoise lake at Leadville - nice hike, gorgeous lake up there

it can get warm in the day, even at 12,000 feet ... hiking in shorts and tshirt

BRING BUG SPRAY - the flies/mosquitoes were awful !

It rained heavy on us at Wolf Creek, in Leadville, at Dillon ...... Mt Evans too, but the Red Feather lakes area west of Ft Collins no rain on us

6. stealthycat

ideally .... I need to hike into this area I've hunted before, and there be no outfitters there, and no camps at all

if this happens .......... I think I stand a good chance at killing a bull close to camp

if there are hunters in there, my hunting gets way harder. if there are outfitters, it gets extremely hard and I will have to move away from there, farther back into the wilderness area and I don't want that if I can avoid it

This week I'd hiked, did bleachers, played hard RB ..... cardio is good, back and shoulders needs more conditioning to heavy pack though. Feet in good shape, knee has flared up a bit but manageable

7 weeks out

7. stealthycat

this is my son in the burn area .... it burned almost everything :( this was heavy, dark old growth timber 3 years ago DSCN8721.JPG