Arkansas Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
37hp mud motors gonna be outlawed. Backing them down to 23,25 or 27.

The 37 is basically like having a v8. Goes shallow and fast, won’t get both anymore.

If want fast , user must go back to 25 outboard.

·
Registered
292 Posts

The 37 is basically like having a v8. Goes shallow and fast, won’t get both anymore.

I feel bad for the poor agfc employee working the phones if all of that goes through.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stan Jones, just do the right thing and ban OOS'ers for 5 years :)

Nothing the AGFC does surprises me anymore. Science and Data are not factors in any decisions - it's really just the flavor of the week. The appointed decision makers want to make there mark on duck hunting - they want to say I was apart of this or "I" drove this decision that saved duck hunting which will always be detrimental to the public hunter ONLY. No affect on duck population or private hunters ever results.

I've had this conversation with many folks doing this along time and we always seem to conclude there are a few things that may be helpful (** Side note, I realize my opinion may mean jack S to you but I'm sharing it anyways)
1) Rotate Rest Area's on a 3 to 5 year basis.... and MANAGE the land effectively. The rotation thing will not work if they don't manage the rotations. Say you have two desired rest area's in your WMA zone. Make it attractive to ducks and allow the people to help more. I'd donate seed and time to a coordinated AGFC event.
2) Increase noise restrictions on motors (It can be done - your boat shouldn't sound like a Harley when going duck hunting, highschooler's and Flatbillers I'm talking to yen's)
3) 3" and under shot shells

Lastly, AGFC just needs to make a damn decision and stick with it on motors and carry it across the board. Damn it ain't hard. If it's 25 HP on outboards and 37 on Mud Rigs, fine, just have some consistency so people can have confidence they aren't wasting money.... and don't make it confusing by having 7 WMA's on 25 and 14 WMA's 50 HP.

Rant over. Until the next rant.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts

They still be rolling as fast and shallow as always! From the outside there is not a bit of difference in the appearance of a 37 vs the lower HP models, what counts is what's inside the critter. Nothing that a new set of decals and fake serial & model plate won't cure, seemed to work well in the past for others!

So what are they going to do in reality? IMO, keep doing the same as they have, give what ever it is, Mud Motor or Outboard a quick glance, if it sporting the proper visible info on, they walk on. But say they want to get more agressive, then what? Start having teardowns done on motors to see if one if skirting the rules like at the old Saturday night dirt tracks? And if could come to that, not going to be able to say we going to tear down one make of car running on the track to see if legal, them mudmotor guys will be protesting the outboard guys then, so then what? They start tearing down them down also!

Deal could end up being like the time the old boys in a deer camp called the WO on the camp next door, when the smoke cleared & after the WO came to their camp to take the complaint, it was a while before he could get over to the other camp to check them on them, lots & lots of violations in the complainers camp that needed to be addressed. The folks who called in complaining about the violators next door ended up getting caught up in their own complaining & and their house was not nearly in order as it should have been.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
50 =90 common sense = not gonna happen.That’s to much motor to be runnin through the timber no matter where you are.This is a danger to other folks especially when folks are coming out hauling ass and meet other folks just going in.

·
Registered
26,270 Posts
50 =90 common sense = not gonna happen.That’s to much motor to be runnin through the timber no matter where you are.This is a danger to other folks especially when folks are coming out hauling ass and meet other folks just going in.
That’s painting with a broad brush to day the least. I run a 50 3 cylinder every day I’m in the woods and I don’t race, don’t operate unsafe in any sort of way, but go ahead and keep painting.

·
Premium Member
26,461 Posts
I agree, it is a user issue and there arent enough gw’s to stop that. There are so many problems that are realistically unenforceable - setting up too close, shooting swings, sky busting, shot chasing - etc. There is really no way to regulate or enforce that kind of thing. On my hunting grounds, there is a big problem with the folks with mud motors riding through every duck hole all day long starting three weeks before season. It would help if they regulated the sound on the mud motors, but it wouldnt stop them from “scouting” by seeing how many ducks get up when they ride through. Cant regulate stupid

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can't regulate stupid - you can't. If you go anywhere where there are birds or rumor's of bird swirling it's almost a guarantee you will do it right and ease in, park, walk /wade and ease around... and then some dipshit is going to come crawling through in a gator tail. I used to say it was all dumb kids until recently... seems a lot of men in there late 20's to early 40's love looking cool as well.

·
Registered
26,270 Posts
You can't regulate stupid - you can't. If you go anywhere where there are birds or rumor's of bird swirling it's almost a guarantee you will do it right and ease in, park, walk /wade and ease around... and then some dipshit is going to come crawling through in a gator tail. I used to say it was all dumb kids until recently... seems a lot of men in there late 20's to early 40's love looking cool as well.
I never have and never will understand how anyone goes through the thought process of running right up on the ducks in their boat, whether it’s a MM or an outboard. Is it just not being taught the right way, lazy, a mixture of both? It makes absolutely zero sense to me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I never have and never will understand how anyone goes through the thought process of running right up on the ducks in their boat, whether it’s a MM or an outboard. Is it just not being taught the right way, lazy, a mixture of both? It makes absolutely zero sense to me.
It's a combination of all those things. People don't want to walk. I use to get excited when I would come across major log jams during low or semi low water conditions. Now the guys will just find a weak spot, ease in, and then giver it hell. All just to run another 500 yards in the boat before you hit private.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
OFD I’m not implying all 50s in the mix and my only observations are from Hurricane.After I quit hunting and started trapping and bow hunting again I witnessed several nimrods and a couple close calls from the hopped 50s and regular 50s as I was entering mid morning and they were coming out.No one was ever doing anything intentional it just happens even happened when everyone only ran 25s.The reaction time is what makes it tricky when you meet in a blind curve.Add in the inexperienced hunters today who grab a tiller for the first time and haul ass.Just see no need for anything over 25 hp.

·
Registered
26,270 Posts
OFD I’m not implying all 50s in the mix and my only observations are from Hurricane.After I quit hunting and started trapping and bow hunting again I witnessed several nimrods and a couple close calls from the hopped 50s and regular 50s as I was entering mid morning and they were coming out.No one was ever doing anything intentional it just happens even happened when everyone only ran 25s.The reaction time is what makes it tricky when you meet in a blind curve.Add in the inexperienced hunters today who grab a tiller for the first time and haul ass.Just see no need for anything over 25 hp.
So when the white is at 30-32’ and rolling and you’re putting in at Nimmo and running all the way down into White and say up to somewhere around Wolf Lake area or somewhere east of Whirl you wouldn’t want a 50? I know I do... I get what you’re saying 100% and don’t disagree with a lot of it. People with little to no experience behind the tiller acting like fools are no doubt a problem, but to say no one should be able to run a 50 because of that is a little ridiculous IMO.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
On the river is not restricted and yes I’d want a 150 to run the river.I’m saying coming in at Mitchell corner where most folks enter there’s no need to be running 50 + MPH where you affect other folks.

·
Registered
539 Posts
So when the white is at 30-32’ and rolling and you’re putting in at Nimmo and running all the way down into White and say up to somewhere around Wolf Lake area or somewhere east of Whirl you wouldn’t want a 50? I know I do... I get what you’re saying 100% and don’t disagree with a lot of it. People with little to no experience behind the tiller acting like fools are no doubt a problem, but to say no one should be able to run a 50 because of that is a little ridiculous IMO.
Why have states not limited HP size on vehicles over the road? Would that stop idiots from being idiots?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts