Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I'd like to begin reloading in various calibers. I am shooting a lot and would like to start working up loads for hunting and range. Plus it looks like a blast to get into.

I've got advice to start with a turret press. It makes sense to me and may be a bit quicker, but not quite as complicated as a progressive.

I'm looking at the Lyman T-Mag kit. Looks like I can get it for around $400.

Do any of you have experience with this press. What are the pros and cons? Is there anything I will need besides dies and shell holders?

Am i starting at the right place?

I'd like to begin re-loading 9mm, 45, 308, 270 and 300wm.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Dont know anything about the lyman press, all my equipment is RCBS, Rockerchucker press. I've been doing it for 25 years and can tell you its lots of fun. The first thing I would do is get a reloading manual and start reading it. If you know someone who is a qualified reloader, work with him some, he would have some good pointers.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I use a turret press and it is great. I like the fact that I screw in all my stuff into it at one time and switch from one to the other as needed. I do not see how anyone would not like one...d2

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
I have a 20 year old lyman turret press kit and just started this year. Beside what comes in the kit you will want a case cleaner or tumbler of some kind at minimum. You will not really save much time with the turret press because you shouldn't be loading 2 or 3 different rounds at the same time anyway. You will understand when you start loading. No matter how careful you are if you have a mix of components on the bench it will lead to mistakes you don't want to make.You'll want a kinetic bullet puller too for when that happens. I recommend the new Lyman reloading manual for detailed instruction of how to approach the loading process It will give you more detailed instruction than any of the bullet manuals. I wish I had started doing this years ago. Now I don't have to worry about my favorite hunting loads being discontinued for something different. Because I make them now.

·
Administrator
75,015 Posts
I use a turret press and it is great. I like the fact that I screw in all my stuff into it at one time and switch from one to the other as needed. I do not see how anyone would not like one...d2
I use a turret press a lot. Set the dies one time and it's done. Just change turrets and start loading. I'm not familiar with the Lyman turret press. I use a Lee turret and it's loaded many many 10's of thousands of rounds over the last 30+ years.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know. I do have a good buddy that reloads, and we are going to go through it a bit this weekend. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I to just got into the reloading game. Welcome aboard. A buddy and I went in together on a Lee turret press. I cant offer much knowledge, but I have found a few things out that may help. As stated above the Lyman book is a good manual, and has lots of load info as well. I have researched and gotten tons of info from the interweb. Imr has load data on there web site FREE http://www.imrpowder.com/ . Nosler also has load data FREE http://www.nosler.com/load-data/ . Hornady only offers it in there book. I like getting more than one reference before I just go buying random supplies to try. Your buddy that you have should be a good wealth of knowledge to help you get started. I was in Bass Pro one day and a guy gave me a good bit of advise and help on must haves and just flashy goodies that are nice but not necessary to start.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I went and took the plunge. Got a Lee Turret Press kit, dies for 9mm, 45, 270 and 308. A few accessories, etc. Lee and Nosler manuals. A few bullets.

I'm pretty well set up now just need to find some decent powder! I'm heading to Tulsa this weekend to track some down. Probably will stock up on some bullets as well.

Best part is, I have the house to myself this weekend so I can take my time, set it up, and load a few rounds in peace!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more question: do you guys like the scoops for powder measures or do you like the powder measure? What's your process here?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Exacting powder measurements are what it's all about, so you can tweek your loads for custom accuracy.

Get the best scale you can afford and look hard at electronic scales.

Decent calipers are cheap & will come in handy, as will a chronograph.

It's a great place to be.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Powder...I wish things had not changed so much since Clinton. I'm sure there are a few on here who remember what it was like to buy reloading stuff before Clinton.

I miss buying a hundred .284 Sierra'a for under $10,Hornady interlocks for $6 a hundred, or a pound of powder for $5. I've got some tin's left of 4350 with $4.99 price tags from Ed's Gunshop in Southern Pines.

Those were the days when you could really enjoy reloading. I don't think we will ever experience anything like it again.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Powder...I wish things had not changed so much since Clinton. I'm sure there are a few on here who remember what it was like to buy reloading stuff before Clinton.

I miss buying a hundred .284 Sierra'a for under $10,Hornady interlocks for $6 a hundred, or a pound of powder for $5. I've got some tin's left of 4350 with $4.99 price tags from Ed's Gunshop in Southern Pines.

Those were the days when you could really enjoy reloading. I don't think we will ever experience anything like it again.
I saved a IMR4350 tin with a $4.95 price marked on it for a while, but finally threw it away.

Some of the Texarkana area residents might remember Ken's House of Guns (Ken Pierce) on W 7th St & Les' Pawn Shop (Lester Foke) on New Boston Rd. Those were the days.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Well, I went and took the plunge. Got a Lee Turret Press kit, dies for 9mm, 45, 270 and 308. A few accessories, etc. Lee and Nosler manuals. A few bullets.

I'm pretty well set up now just need to find some decent powder! I'm heading to Tulsa this weekend to track some down. Probably will stock up on some bullets as well.

Best part is, I have the house to myself this weekend so I can take my time, set it up, and load a few rounds in peace!
In Tulsa go by Dong's Sporting Good's on Admiral across from the Rosehill Cemetery. If anyone has what you need they will.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a lee single stage press--I have had it for around 25 yrs--if your interested in .270 --I have brass-bullets-dies for sale--dies also for .357 sic and factory crimp die for it--if your interested contact me at [email protected]--i am east of ft smith

·
Registered
2,120 Posts

David Rose in farmington is high but he normally has a decent selection.

One more question: do you guys like the scoops for powder measures or do you like the powder measure? What's your process here?
I've used both. The scale is better for precise loads and load development, scoops work well for practice ammo.

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
Definiely weigh your charges anywhere near max. Get a weight check set to check your scale. If you use extruded powder they don't throw from a powder measure very consistently. Ball powders throw pretty good in my experience. I weigh all my charges because I am trying to load for accuracy. I'm new at this too but some of the things become apparent pretty quickly. Like trying to run the slow IMR powders through a measure. When I tried IMR 7828 I got about half a charge out of the measure then the drop tube plugged. Now I dip it and trickle into the pan on the scale. Other powder like the ball ones dump very close. each time. I have been using the powder measure a little light and then trickle a few grains into the pan on the scale to make exact weights.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I may have a rock chucker 2 looks new may let a bunch of shell holders go with it got a extra new primer catcher to go with it. I am looking at a Forster u don't have to use shell holders r they a good press?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts