Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need a tower/box stand. Do yall buy em already built or build your own. I need one big enough for me and my two boys, 7 and 9. 10' off ground I reckon. Ive always hunted lean to's. I need to get into one pretty cheap, if possibe:dontknow:, any suggestions. Thank ya.

:flag:

Idea of cost on stands?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I had one built in Dumas, 4ft by 6ft it came with just the metal roof on it. I put the floor and sides on it, added some red shag carpet and 2 bus seats and it is one comfy stand. Mine is only 4ft off the ground due to my daughter having trouble climbing but they said they could extend it if need be. When all was said and done I had about $375 or $400 in it. It only gets hunted when she goes but it was well worth it, first time out had a doe walk 5yds in front of the stand and you should have seen the look on her face "PRICELESS":thumb:

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I'm building one of these right now. Actually, I'm building a second one. A friend came over to look at the first one and liked it so much he asked me to build him one. Of course, he is buying the materials.

You can purchase the plans at: http://www.deerblindplans.com/index.html

The plan is very efficient in use of materials albeit they are fairly amateurly written. You can follow them pretty good if you can read between the lines a bit.

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
Which would you rather build, metal or wood? I'm really not sure which would cost more right now. I built one that is 4x6' with a 6' ceiling a couple years ago. You woudn't think so, but that's probably enough room for you, but then 4x8 really isn't going to cost much room and would give you a place to put down a little pallet if one of the kids got tired.

Here's one that I built about 5 years ago. The base is 6x6 and the floor is 4x6. It was all built from 1.5" 12 ga. angle iron with a treated 3/4" plywood floor, tin from an old barn and 2 peices of metal roof that I talked someone out of. I did use some expanding foam to seal the roof from the elements and bugs. I put up screan on the windows and it was comfortable without a heater down to about 30 degrees.

The floor was 6' off the ground and it was in a 30 acre field and there was no place that I couldn't see to shoot with it up that high. On flat ground there is no reason I could see to be higher when in and inclosed blind like that, unless you are planning on bow hunting out of it.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
A 5x5 or 4x6 stand should be big enough for you.
Most of our general purpose box stands are around 8' to the floor.
We normally use 12' 2x4's or 2x6's that run from the top of the shooting ledge of the stand down to the ground. The legs are flared out a foot or two for stability.
It would really be easier to explain if I took some pictures of one the next time I'm at the camp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.