Stainless Steel

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by rgwill, Jan 5, 2011.

1. rgwill

rgwill Well-Known Member

What do you have to have to cut stainless steal pipe? Is it to hard to cut with a metal band saw or a hack saw?

I've never cut any and always was told it was really hard. I may have it cut at a machine shop if it's not to expensive. Any shops around the cabot area?

2. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

I don't know about the hardness of stainless steel, but if you need some pipe cut let me know, I have a metal cutting chop saw:up:

3. rgwill

rgwill Well-Known Member

I want to cut several peices at 1/2" each. I want to try to have as good of a cut as possible. I didn't know if a pipe cutter would do it or not either. I was thinking more on the lines of metal band saw.

Thanks for the offer, if I think thats what I need i'll give you a shout..

4. coonnutz

Ok just let me know.

If you use a pipe cutter if will roll the edges in, and you won't get a clean cut like your wanting, a slow cutting band saw is probably the way to go, I can't think of any metal shop's in Cabot off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are a few here.

5. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Chop saw works for me.....:whistle:

6. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

You might try your local high school agri teacher. Ours has some really good equipment for just such things.

7. coonnutz

John thats a good call:up:

Cabot has a very nice Agri and shop:up:

8. monsterman

monsterman Well-Known Member

chop saw will work,although it will probably rust after you put it through the heat,,a band saw is the best,,we are a little ways away but if you cant get it cut pm me i got 3 band saws,,mm

9. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

Stainless is not a hard material, although there are several grades of it. Some are a little tougher, but it's all about corrosion resistance than strength. I sell nuts and bolts (plus a few other things) and it suprises me how folks think stainless steel is comparable to a strong grade, like a 5 or 8. It's actually more in the grade 2 comparison on strength.

Cutting stainless is not real difficult and a bandsaw will do the trick plus make a cleaner cut than a chopsaw, which leaves alot of residue behind.

10. jcp

jcp Well-Known Member

Cato
    if its not over 2" pipe I have some cutters that will cut it . SS is hard on blades its really not that hard of a metal, just most saws spin to fast and heat up the metal which makes it harder to cut , if you use a saw I would suggest spraying with wd40 as it cuts