Squirrels?

Discussion in 'Small Game and Bird Hunting' started by archer, Jan 17, 2008.

1. archer

archer Well-Known Member

Anybody been seeing an squirrels? I have hunted the last 4 weekends and have seen one squirrel. Thank the Lord I wasn't squirrel hunting. Just wondering if they migrated, hibernated or what. Normally I find squirrel parts in the grey foxes I have called in but nothing lately.

2. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

3. retnuhreed

retnuhreed Well-Known Member

Ive been going too and not seeing any! :mad:

4. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

We took the dogs out three times last weekend and Saturday afternoon was really the only decent hunt we had.
    Sunday evening they stirred late in the day after the wind died down.

5. buckhorn

buckhorn Well-Known Member

I picked a bad year to buy a squirrel dog. I bought a mountain feist in the
    spring. He is a little over a year old now. I can't put him in any woods that seem to have a squirrel population.

6. ArkyHunter

ArkyHunter Well-Known Member

Take your SQdog to a camp ground or state park an let him chase and tree the have tame tree rats.I started both mine that way.Camper dont like cold weather so you pretty much have the place to yourself.And the ranger just laughed with he seen my dog running around dragging my lease :biggrin:

7. I was out yesterday and only heard one squirrel barking at something.

8. archer

archer Well-Known Member

Went predator calling again this morning and no squirrels, the only place I have them is in my yard.

9. retnuhreed

retnuhreed Well-Known Member

Went yesterday and saw one. They really hibernate?

10. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes! They do for short periods in the coldest days of winter. Then the temp. gets up to 50 degrees in the mourning and day time highs over 60 you see plenty of squirrels on calm windless days. :thumb:

11. fish

fish Well-Known Member

I normally see them in my yard everyday. With this exteme cold ,they have not been around.:confused:

12. They are at a convention in Nebraska. Will be back in the northern part of the state on Jan 31, south of I-40 on Feb. 1.

13. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

A few of them didn't make it to the convention. They will be making it to the frying pan or the mulligan pot pretty soon though. :thumb:
    We got 11 this afternoon and had another 2 or 3 get away thanks to some excellent shotgunning. :smack: