Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Jack says it just isn't fair.

Jack is a stray that showed up in my backyard 7 years ago as a baby. I knew he would bark at the squirrels in the backyard so two years ago I took him out hunting for real. Last year we killed a few but he hunted really close to me. He wouldn't get more than 20 yards away. Today it must have all clicked for him. All day he was ranging just out of sight of me and covered a lot of ground in a circle around me.

I've never had a squirrel dog before so I can say I'm no more advanced at this than Jack. We are learning this hunting squirrels with a dog together. We have covered a lot of ground in our hunts with very little in return other than exercise. He started out just using his eyes to spot squirrels but this year he has also used his nose. Has to be really fresh though as in I see one and walk him over there to get the scent. I don't tell him there is a squirrel I just watch as the light bulb goes off. I also don't shoot unless he has treed the squirrel. I really believe it is coming together for him. He knows what the game is now and will only improve from this point.

· Registered
1,913 Posts
You’re doing it right. You and the dog are having fun and that’s the biggest part of it. It took me a while to figure out that I enjoy working with dogs and watching the dogs work more than I actually enjoy squirrel hunting.
A tip on those hollow trees- I might have been known at one time to send a bottle rocket up one or maybe even keep a few smoke bombs handy. But for something a little less likely to set the woods on fire, rub an empty plastic water bottle up and down the tree, or cut a sapling and run it up the hole and make all the noise you can with it. Sometimes it gets to be more than the squirrel can stand. Just be ready to shoot when they come out!

· Registered
722 Posts
You’re doing it right. You and the dog are having fun and that’s the biggest part of it. It took me a while to figure out that I enjoy working with dogs and watching the dogs work more than I actually enjoy squirrel hunting.
A tip on those hollow trees- I might have been known at one time to send a bottle rocket up one or maybe even keep a few smoke bombs handy. But for something a little less likely to set the woods on fire, rub an empty plastic water bottle up and down the tree, or cut a sapling and run it up the hole and make all the noise you can with it. Sometimes it gets to be more than the squirrel can stand. Just be ready to shoot when they come out!
I can’t believe you would ever do such a thing. ! A tape measure works good also it makes a little more racket than a stick. Be careful though I have literally had them come out on my arm when wiggling a tape measure around in a hole.

· Registered
1,913 Posts
I can’t believe you would ever do such a thing. ! A tape measure works good also it makes a little more racket than a stick.
I kind of toned it down after I set a tree on fire when I was probably 13 or 14. I just built a fire inside that one. Had standing water around me so I figured I could put it out if need be. And I finally did, but I almost learned my lesson the really hard way.

· Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JB I’ve had that Remington since around 1994. It’s knocked down about a million doves and don’t know how many rabbits. Don’t think it will be up for sale until after I’m dead. If that is the case you will have to deal with my wife.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts