Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I used to use high brass 6s exclusively in either my 12 or 20 early in the season when the leaves are thick, before the .22. Now use much less expensive 1 1/8 oz 6s in one of my lightweight double 12s. If it is less effective I can’t tell it. The lower velocity loads seem to pattern a little tighter in my guns & kill em dead.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I started hunting them hard a few years back using high brass 6's, and it seemed to work so I stuck with it. Once the leaves are off, I switch out to a .22LR, or if I am feeling froggy, .22 mag!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I've got the entire old A5 set now except for a light 20. You'll have to check with the Tonkinator or Will in the " distant future " I hope
about the 20 gauge. It hurt buying that one...d2
Guess the term “old” set can mean Belgium made, or post Belgium, (think Japan), but before the new style A5. These 3 (20,16, and 12) of mine are all Belgium made. I used to have the old style 3”Magnum, but it wasn’t made in Belgium, and I traded it in on the newer Camo A5

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Those are sweet. I've got the 12, light 12, 3 inch 12 and the sweet 16's all Belgium made and the 20 gauge magnum but it's the jap model which is fine. I'll eventually find a light 20 I can afford...d2

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Those are sweet. I've got the 12, light 12, 3 inch 12 and the sweet 16's all Belgium made and the 20 gauge magnum but it's the jap model which is fine. I'll eventually find a light 20 I can afford...d2
I love the old A5 Brownings. Them and Winchester Model 12s are my favorite all time shotguns. Contrary to what some believe, the Japanese Brownings are just as good as, and most times prettier than, the Belgium made ones. I have owned them all, several times. I sure as hell would not give the inflated price difference between them.
Any one ounce 20 gauge load should be fine for squirrels. Of course a good 22 would be better.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts