Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to slowly think about hunting season and re-up on the stuff I need. For the last few years I have shot Remington XLR in 20 gauge with great great great results. It has been my go to off the shelf load. With COVID and Remington switching names/owners/something, I can't find the stuff anywhere.

What are you folks using? I like #5 or #6 shot in a high brass shell.

The Remington XLR box has a pheasant on it, so maybe I should look at pheasant loads?

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought a case of Fiocchi 20 gauge no. 5's for mine, they were out of 6's. I bought an A5 20 gauge last week and am looking forward to using it on squirrels
when it cools off...d2
Are they high brass?

·
Registered
13,091 Posts
Are they high brass?
The length of the brass has nothing to do with the amount of powder in a shell. Manufacturers used to label how many drams were in a load now they just list velocity. Federal used to and still may, make a shell called a field load. It would have a long brass on the hull and 7/8 oz of shot and would actually be classified as a low brass shell since it only shot about 1100 FPS on velocity. They were about equivalent to Remingtons Game loads that actually had a low brass on the hull.

·
Premium Member
26,759 Posts
The length of the brass has nothing to do with the amount of powder in a shell. Manufacturers used to label how many drams were in a load now they just list velocity. Federal used to and still may, make a shell called a field load. It would have a long brass on the hull and 7/8 oz of shot and would actually be classified as a low brass shell since it only shot about 1100 FPS on velocity. They were about equivalent to Remingtons Game loads that actually had a low brass on the hull.
Don't Believe it...

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
I bought a case of Fiocchi 20 gauge no. 5's for mine, they were out of 6's. I bought an A5 20 gauge last week and am looking forward to using it on squirrels
when it cools off...d2
D2,
Keep me in mind when you are ready to pass that A5 on to its next owner.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I've got the entire old A5 set now except for a light 20. You'll have to check with the Tonkinator or Will in the " distant future " I hope
about the 20 gauge. It hurt buying that one...d2

·
Premium Member
3,365 Posts
Yep I agree.

·
Premium Member
3,365 Posts
I do like the 1-1/4 oz of #6 but they are getting hard to find. I loaded my shells with the 1-1/4 oz #6 shot. This is 12ga shells.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I found some Express Long Range at Wal Mart the other day. just got to get lucky when they have it, Wal Mart on highland had some heavy load federal the other day, never shot it but I'm sure it would kill a squirrel.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bass Pro shows out of stock in store, but has let me order online now. A few days ago it wouldn't allow me to add it to my cart, so maybe these will go through.

·
Premium Member
3,365 Posts
I found some Express Long Range at Wal Mart the other day. just got to get lucky when they have it, Wal Mart on highland had some heavy load federal the other day, never shot it but I'm sure it would kill a squirrel.
I have shot it and it does just fine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts