Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to slowly think about hunting season and re-up on the stuff I need. For the last few years I have shot Remington XLR in 20 gauge with great great great results. It has been my go to off the shelf load. With COVID and Remington switching names/owners/something, I can't find the stuff anywhere.

What are you folks using? I like #5 or #6 shot in a high brass shell.

The Remington XLR box has a pheasant on it, so maybe I should look at pheasant loads?

·
Registered
15,760 Posts
Are they high brass?
The length of the brass has nothing to do with the amount of powder in a shell. Manufacturers used to label how many drams were in a load now they just list velocity. Federal used to and still may, make a shell called a field load. It would have a long brass on the hull and 7/8 oz of shot and would actually be classified as a low brass shell since it only shot about 1100 FPS on velocity. They were about equivalent to Remingtons Game loads that actually had a low brass on the hull.

·
Premium Member
34,600 Posts
The length of the brass has nothing to do with the amount of powder in a shell. Manufacturers used to label how many drams were in a load now they just list velocity. Federal used to and still may, make a shell called a field load. It would have a long brass on the hull and 7/8 oz of shot and would actually be classified as a low brass shell since it only shot about 1100 FPS on velocity. They were about equivalent to Remingtons Game loads that actually had a low brass on the hull.
Don't Believe it...

·
Super Moderator
11,217 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
Yep I agree.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I found some Express Long Range at Wal Mart the other day. just got to get lucky when they have it, Wal Mart on highland had some heavy load federal the other day, never shot it but I'm sure it would kill a squirrel.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.