Arkansas Hunting banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
You are right - who knows? Not a lot of research going to study squirrels. Not much of an acorn crop here this year, but never is on my place, since we dont have hardly any oak. But there are definitely fewer squirrels. Squirrels tend to be pretty cyclic anyway. Just could be a down couple of years and they bounce back next year.
Yeah good point, it seems like only a couple of years ago they were constantly in the road

now it’s every once in awhile

not good

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Don’t know if there are any feral cats in your hoods, but they kill a lot of small game around here. Cat lady lives about a quarter from here & she feeds 15-20 at any given time. They are everywhere at night.

My pit bull killed a couple of them & she was sobbing uncontrollably when I went to talk to her about it. My dog thought it was great sport so I had to lock her up.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Has anyone seemed to think over the last couple yrs squirrel numbers are down? I have a pretty decent dog not the best but the last couple yrs it seems like it’s getting tougher and tougher to find them. We are hitting areas and only getting 2-3 may tree a few more and have to move to another area just to get a few more. I have never had this problem before. It could be just the part of the state I hunt, but like I said never had this problem until the last couple yrs.
I do lots of wildlife photography and some of my hot spots for squirrels don't even have ten percent the population they've had in previous years. I thought maybe the snow and subzero temps last year may have killed them off. I also noticed there was very few acorns and nuts on the trees.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts