Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seemed to think over the last couple yrs squirrel numbers are down? I have a pretty decent dog not the best but the last couple yrs it seems like it’s getting tougher and tougher to find them. We are hitting areas and only getting 2-3 may tree a few more and have to move to another area just to get a few more. I have never had this problem before. It could be just the part of the state I hunt, but like I said never had this problem until the last couple yrs.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s crazy it’s just been a couple around here but yesterday was weird. I hunted a couple areas where I have always done real good in the past and the last two yrs it has been virtually no good. I was just making sure I wasn’t the only one having the problem.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
Kids and I have had a couple slow squirrel hunts in NWA the last couple weekends. I was really surprised yesterday since the weather was very nice. Havent been out enough to chalk it up to a squirrel drought just yet. Could have just been bad timing. I keep telling the kids we're due to catch em on their feet next time.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kids and I have had a couple slow squirrel hunts in NWA the last couple weekends. I was really surprised yesterday since the weather was very nice. Havent been out enough to chalk it up to a squirrel drought just yet. Could have just been bad timing. I keep telling the kids we're due to catch em on their feet next time.
I figured yesterday evening would have been great. We killed two no quicker than I let him out of the dog box and then it was awhile before we even made another tree.

·
Super Moderator
9,316 Posts
Where about are you hunting? Lol!
Pretty sure most here know we live out adjacent to Winona WMA. But as @austincrutchfield said...lots of trees with holes for them to escape to. So many dang dead/dying trees. Had a bit of excitement in the wind when a large branch fell and crashed next to the trail I was riding on yesterday afternoon.

All I know is that when I'm deer hunting or horseback riding out here we see a ton of squirrels. Mostly gray squirrels...but a few fox here and there.

·
Premium Member
29,423 Posts
I wouldnt doubt the same thing that is affecting every ground nesting animal in the state is having some effect on squirrels - even though they nest in a tree. I have more coyotes and bobcats on my place than I ever have. I was standing in one place yesterday and there were three different hawk species circling within a few hundred yards of each other. Around my place, the habitat has probably improved for squirrels with all the sick, damaged trees from hypoxylon and flood damage - but the predator load is unbearable. I did have a cat picture a few months ago carrying what I believe to be a squirrel. All those predators have to eat something. I do believe my coon population has decreased.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Problem in your area is every other tree is hollow, good for squirrels, but for using a dog it makes it tough. I gave up trying to hunt them up there because of it.
We do have several dens but we aren’t even treeing 1/2 of what we used to. I hunt all over usually within 2-1/2 hrs of hot springs. I don’t have a problem treeing if it’s a den tree but the overall treeing numbers are even down.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldnt doubt the same thing that is affecting every ground nesting animal in the state is having some effect on squirrels - even though they nest in a tree. I have more coyotes and bobcats on my place than I ever have. I was standing in one place yesterday and there were three different hawk species circling within a few hundred yards of each other. Around my place, the habitat has probably improved for squirrels with all the sick, damaged trees from hypoxylon and flood damage - but the predator load is unbearable. I did have a cat picture a few months ago carrying what I believe to be a squirrel. All those predators have to eat something. I do believe my coon population has decreased.
Makes a lot of sense I can imagine Coons even may affect squirrel nesting since they live in the same areas. I am going to work the coyotes over this spring

·
Registered
17,236 Posts
Dang coyotes are at it again! They are climbing trees now! Lol
I think the weather has been the biggest contributer to declining game numbers. Coons second. A couple years ago the coyote numbers were way off. Cat numbers were up, but now they seem down some. It's just nature doing what nature does.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts