Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One might think this is placed wrong but I'm on the hunt for squirrels. I have a problem with squirrels getting into my attic by chewing through the siding under the overhang and have set up residence. I have tried the better-halfs way of trapping and replacing them several miles away but they keep coming. I have caught 60 in the last year. Well I got one last week with a BB gun as I live in the city limits and guess where it ended up? Between two interior walls with no insulation, dead and rotten. Major problem! I have read about the squirrel repellants but I am not sure that they would work. Do any of ya'll have any methods for controlling squirrels for this type of problem? I know the country (correct) method but I live for the time being in the city. Fishers

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Fishers, my parents had the same problem a few years ago. I put out a "have a heart" live trap and caught a ton of them. The only difference was that I didn't relocate them. I shot them with a pellet gun in the trap, let them die, put them in a gallon freezer bag, and put them in the trash.

They no longer have any problems. Whenever they start seeing them around we just load up the trap again. If you dont have one or have access to one, you are more than welcome to borrow mine.

2dogs

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been using one for a year and keep on catching them. Peanut butter works great. I have eliminated them the same way(BB's) when my wife wasnt around, hence the smell in the living room and they still seem to multiply. I know that I have some neighbors ( a few houses down)that still feed them. They wonder why there are fewer squirrels but I dont care because of the aforementioned problem. Are there any secret scents that will repell them? I have tried several but they do not work!!! Thanks, Fishers

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I know this is far fetched but you could always put a boa contricter (sp) in the attic. I wouldn't recommend that method, but I bet it would work.

You may have to ask you wife if she'd rather have the squirrels or the smell. They can do a lot a damage to a house.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
A large wharf rat trap baited on the pan with peanut butter and nailed off of the ground on a tree,about 5 feet, will get 'em all. You get to skin and eat 'em too :biggrin:...d2

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Fishers, my parents had the same problem a few years ago. I put out a "have a heart" live trap and caught a ton of them. The only difference was that I didn't relocate them. I shot them with a pellet gun in the trap, let them die, put them in a gallon freezer bag, and put them in the trash.

They no longer have any problems. Whenever they start seeing them around we just load up the trap again. If you dont have one or have access to one, you are more than welcome to borrow mine.

2dogs
I can't believe you would throw away some good dumpling meat like that.:smack:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cant open that at this computer but I can imagine what it contained. If I did something that I might consider funny then the police would be at my door. My neighbors alraedy think I'm crazy, on top of my roof shooting bows and such things so I would get blamed for something an anti would consider unacceptable.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Fish, here is the only sure way. I had Flying squirrels in my attic for several years. I trapped them like you, took them for long rides and then new ones would move in and the scenario would repeat. Mothballs will just poison you and you will have a heck of a time trying to gather them back up. Forget about the powders, peppers, high frequency sound and animal urine. Here is what you have to do. First, find out where they are getting in and seal the entrances. Usually there will be at least 2 or 3 places that they come in. My squirrels were coming in through the Attic vents at the end of the house. I had 4 vents and they had chewed through the cloth mesh that came with the vents to keep out insects. I stapled 1/4 inch metal mesh inside the vents and that stopped them. Seal up and repair these holes except for one. Use live traps ( I use raw peanuts for bait) and remove the squirrels. Kill them or take them at least 5 miles from your home for release. When you do not catch anymore squirrels, repair the last hole. Keep your trap baited for a couple of more weeks to make sure you have sealed all entry holes. This is the only way you are going to get rid of them. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
About the dead critter which is between the walls and stinking up the house. I have heard that if you pour powdered lime down there, it will speed up the decay process and mummify it. Unless you have already torn the wall apart, you might wanna give it a try.

Cheers.....

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I've got the solution to get rid of your problem:

First get a nice big electric skillet with a 1/4" of oil in the bottom heated to a nice warm temp!

Kill 'em and eat 'em. If you don't eat squirrel, then start now.

Squirrel......it's what's for supper!:up:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.