Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
7,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Spring squirrel season less than a month away it is time to get out the shootin irons and get ready to do some serious hunting. The problems this year for many, myself included, is that much of the eastern part of Arkansas is flooded. I hunt several wildlife management areas; including Dagmar, Rex Hancock/Black Swamp, Henry Gray/Hurricane Lake and Bayou DeView. All of these are probably going to be flooded for part, if not all the spring season.
I know the reputation of Sylamore as a premiere squirrel hunting place, but does anyone else have a suggestion for some others? I hunted Gulf Mountain once last year and it looked promising. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Reb

· Registered
7,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I havent. As a matter of fact I dont think I have ever heard of it, but I will check into it. Usually during the Summer months I hunt Missouri a lot. Their season opens the end of may and goes through the middle of Feb. This year probably wont hunt as much because the dang gas prices are so high.
Thanks for the info. Have you hunted Scatter Creek much?

· Registered
7,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well if it is furry, gray or red,has a bushy tail, lives in a tree and eats nuts I am blastin heck out of it. Of course that could be a hairy old Native American vegetarian who wants to be Tarzan. Of course i will try to shoot smaller critters.

· Registered
7,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it looks like my son and I are gonna try Scatter Creek this weekend.
All my favorite spots are still under water. Mr. Chitlin do you remember which section of Scattercreek you used to hunt?
Take care
Reb

· Administrator
90,822 Posts
Well it looks like my son and I are gonna try Scatter Creek this weekend.
All my favorite spots are still under water. Mr. Chitlin do you remember which section of Scattercreek you used to hunt?
Take care
Reb
I usually hunted in the area above where the firing range is now. There is an old road leading up through the woods to the left when you have crossed the old concrete bridge. There was an old house there at that time. The road went up the hill and followed the ridge. I haven't been down in there in a while though. Don't know if the house is still there or not.

· Registered
2,660 Posts
Thanks. I know people hate to give up there honeyholes, but I appreciate it. This is only my second year hunting, so I'm trying to get at least one squirrel before next season starts. I had a goal of one rabbit (completed), one squirrel and one deer (too late for that one, but there is always next year).

· Registered
2,660 Posts
Went to Holland Bottoms this moring for squirrel hunting. Hunted about an hour where you told me to, and I shot my first squirrel. I was pretty happy. Seemed like they were just getting up about the time I had to leave. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.