Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I hunt with dogs, so we normally try to get there right at daylight or a little after. When I still hunted I always tried to get in the woods while it was still dark and wait for them to come alive.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I start still hunting after the dove hunting fizzles out around mid September. I'll start dog hunting this year around November or December probably. I don't like getting eat up with ticks and cleaning squirrels in the summer lol

·
Premium Member
17,560 Posts
Brother just go hunting...now. you are within 30 minute drive to several places. juss take some skeeter spray and maybe thermocell. go kill you a mess of squirrels and take them home for your wife to clean....:up:

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm gonna try to get out soon to get some squirrels. It will be my first time, I've been reading 5s and 6s are most preferred. I have half a box of 7.5s. I have a mod choke in.

Should I go with 5s or can I use my 7.5s? I dint want to pick tons of shot or hair out of the meat since I'll be eating them. I know a few pellets will be inevitable, but I don't want to pepper the thing.

I've been reading that small shot pulls more hair then just read larger shot pulls in more hair...

Anyone clear this up?

·
Premium Member
Commish Weld
22,884 Posts
You can swat them with 7.5 but you will need to be pretty close to the squirrel. The 5 and 6 will carry farther. Like posted above, just get it it there and go for it. These cool mornings will be nice. Put on some deet, and go get em. You can read all you want, but you will really learn the most by doing it. You only need a couple of squirrels to make a big delicious pot of Squirrel & Dumplings. Get out there and have fun. I would use the #5 shot.

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
I have killed a lot of squirrels with #6 shot in a 410 single shot when I was growing up. As I got a little older my Dad let me switch over to a .22 Rifle and I really began to harvest squirrels for the dinner pot and there was less worry about squirrel hair and lead shot. :up:

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I'm going as soon as the .22 short ammo I just ordered gets here. I got 300 hundred rounds, which figures out to at least a dozen squirrels for the year (the way I'm shooting lately). Going back to the ol' 4x fixed power Weaver K4...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.