Squirrel hunting for a beginner

Discussion in 'Small Game and Bird Hunting' started by dryoga, May 17, 2018 at 10:11 PM.

1. dryoga

dryoga Well-Known Member

I have a grandson who is 11 and hunts and fishes all the time. He now wants to go squirrel hunting which I know nothing about. Neither does his Dad. We hunt doves, ducks, deer, pheasants, and fish. Tell us what to do to start a grandson squirrel hunting. We have lots of woods where we can take him.

2. QuailRidge

QuailRidge Well-Known Member

Slip through the woods. Lean against a tree about every hundred yards and let the woods settle down. Sometimes you have to be still for 5 minutes, sometimes 20 or more. That's about it. Try to key in on food sources. This time of year I like to find a few mulberry trees.

Luv2hunt and N8HARNER like this.

3. JB Weld

JB Weld Well-Known Member Supporting Member

As I have gotten older, I prefer squirrel hunting over just about any game. This time a year he probably will do best with a shotgun. In the fall though, I love to get after them with a 22. Hunting squirrels is pretty simple. Like stated above slipping through the woods is a great way to start. I would recommend a comfy stool to set on when you are waiting for movement. Get one with a strap so it is easy to carry. Pound for pound, I think squirrels are one of the toughest animals in the woods. They sure are good to eat!

reb henderson, Luv2hunt and N8HARNER like this.
  4. orangefeetdown

orangefeetdown Well-Known Member

NEA
    Park, walk in the woods slowly looking in the trees, watch for squirrels, shoot, and move on through the woods looking for more. Easy.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 10:30 PM
    Luv2hunt and N8HARNER like this.
  5. N8HARNER

N8HARNER Well-Known Member

Easier said than done. Especially with a 22 and all this foliage

6. Luv2hunt

Luv2hunt Well-Known Member

Aren’t you in the rimfire category? Hope your partner doesn’t read your post. Do we need to move you to the shotgun category?

N8HARNER likes this.
  7. R6mm

R6mm Well-Known Member

N. Texas
    AR with high cap mag & bumpstock…..foilage disappears pretty quick...;)

Cperry likes this.
  8. Cperry

Cperry Member-2018 Spring Team Turkey Contest Winner

Saline
    Can’t beat squirrel hunting with a good dog. He’d definitely get hooked if you got him one

R6mm, QuailRidge and JB Weld like this.
  9. QuailRidge

QuailRidge Well-Known Member

Once the trees leaf out good I usually leave the dog at home. I have a hard time finding a squirrel that is hiding amongst all that greenery.

10. R6mm

R6mm Well-Known Member

N. Texas
    Agree. Probably the best way to start a kid out squirrel hunting. Don't have to be still for long periods, don't have to get up real early, & get to move around & talk to him while the dog is working.

11. Hobbshunter

Hobbshunter Well-Known Member

NWA
    Hunting them is a blast, and it's easy. Just get out there, and you'll figure it out. It's perfect for kids.
    Here's how to skin them. They're delicious.

Luv2hunt likes this.