Arkansas Hunting banner

Squirrel Hunt?

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Idigdirt 
#1 ·
Would any of yall be interested in getting together for an Arkansas Squirrel hunt this fall? Either Sylamore or Henry Gray/Hurricane Lake would be good spots. I know that on other forums, forum members get together quite often for squirrel hunts. Just a thought. What do yall think?

#6 ·
I thought maybe there might be some interest in all parts of the state participating in a squirrel hunt. A large number of squirrel hunters converge on the Shawnee National Forest in So.Illinois every September. Usually 30 to 40 show up. They come from all over the World. England,Kansas, Kentucky, Arkansas, Texas, Missouri, Iowa etc. Since Arkansas is one of the number one squirrel hunting states I think it would be appropriate that a large group of us squirrel lovers get together somewhere and enjoy the hunting and comraderie. Anyway it sounds good.

#7 ·
Ok are there any other Squirrel Hunters That would like to meet up and hunt the Natl forest just outside of Devils Den State park ??

There is Primitive camping just outside the park as well as pay sites inside the park for those who want to make it a weekend ... I was thinking maybe Sept 13-14th ... There is a Primitive campground next to the Creek about 1mi W on CR220 on the Left hand side of the Road where we could all meet to Camp and go Hunt ?? I'm game..

1. D33RHUNT3R

#8 ·
There is an organization called Arkansas Squirrel Hunters that get together several times a year in various places to hunt together and enjoy a good time of fellowship and good eating. If I am not mistaken they even own a club house in Dardanelle somewhere on or near public hunting grounds.

I can find out more info if people are interested.

#9 ·
Normally, I would be the first to jump on an opportunity to set up a squirrel hunting/camping trip. However, I cannot commit to anything right now because of the health of my 88 year old mother and attending to her needs requires a lot of my time.
My wife gives me a tremendous amount of support and helps me to slip off to the lake or out to the woods as much as possible. If a group of squirrel hunters want to come to the Sylamore District, I will help all I can. :thumb:

#11 ·
I would consider a squirrel hunt. I live in Hot Springs so the Dardenelle/Russellville area would be good. I really need to find someone to
hunt late season with and see if this feist I have is ever going to turn out.
Finding squirrels in abundance has been tough down here the last couple of
Falls.

#17 · (Edited)
I live on Hwy 10 about 19 miles from Dardanelle. I raise and train squirrel dogs for competition and meat hunting and I am ALWAYS up for a hunt and looking for someone to go with me. I really enjoy working the dogs and enjoying a good conversation at the same time.

If anyone is interested in attending a competition hunt you can go on a cast as a spectator and watch some really good dogs hunt. There will be several hunts held in Petit Jean WMA this fall/winter and several at Dover as well.

The hunting/camping trip sounds fun. I usually go on one in December down to the White River with a bunch of guys that have dogs.

I have access to a place just south of Lake Nimrod that is on 40ac surrounded by the National Forrest with a cabin on it (needs a remodel) that has several nice places to hunt around it that are accessable by 4 wheeler.

There are several camp grounds around Nimrod that have full hookups and easy access. You can leave the campground at Sunlight Bay on 4 wheelers and have access to some pretty good hunting.

The Petit Jean WMA is not very far from my house and has had alot of good squirrel hunting in the past. There are several places to camp in the WMA that are easily accessable with campers and I know of one that can be accessed by large campers that has @ 8 camper spots (no hookups) and alot of room for tents.

I also know several places in the Dover area that have places to camp and some pretty good hunting.

If anyone is interested just let me know and we can try and make a round. I prefer to hunt in the fall/winter because I hate skeeters and I am skeered of snakes!

Chad
479-477-0271

#18 ·
I am in Van Buren, I have no squirrel dogs but I do have a gun and I am willing to travel. I would like very much to meet up and hunt with you guys. If I can travel there, hunt and drive back home the same day I will be there with bells on. Please count me in.

#20 ·
Ok are there any other Squirrel Hunters That would like to meet up and hunt the Natl forest just outside of Devils Den State park ??

There is Primitive camping just outside the park as well as pay sites inside the park for those who want to make it a weekend ... I was thinking maybe Sept 13-14th ... There is a Primitive campground next to the Creek about 1mi W on CR220 on the Left hand side of the Road where we could all meet to Camp and go Hunt ?? I'm game..

1. D33RHUNT3R
anyone still talkin about this? My dog hasn't treed anything but cats since feb 28th I'm going some where it might as well be here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.