1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is :censored: !

Spurrier to announce Ellis Johnson as DC
By Joseph Person
The State
Published: January 24, 2008
Updated: 3:43 p.m.
Steve Spurrier has called a press conference for 4 p.m. today to announce Arkansas defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson as USC's new defensive coordinator, The State has confirmed.

Spurrier would not confirm his choice of Johnson. But a source close to Johnson said Spurrier has picked Johnson to succeed Brian VanGorder, who has left to take the coordinator's post with the Atlanta Falcons.

Spurrier spoke with Johnson, who was then at Mississippi State, and reportedly offered him the job before hiring VanGorder, according to sources.

Johnson received a three-year deal from new Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino, but has not signed the contract, according to another source close to Johnson.

Johnson is a South Carolina and former head coach of The Citadel. He has long expressed an interest in returning to the state, where he has a lot of friends and family.

As for VanGorder, his USC stint turned out to be the shortest of the jobs held by the well-traveled Michigan native over the past three years.

VanGorder, hired by Spurrier on Dec. 19, has left USC to take the same post with new Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith.

VanGorder worked with Smith with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2005, one of five jobs VanGorder has held since January 2005. VanGorder was the Falcons' linebackers coach this past season under Petrino, who bolted for Arkansas with three games remaining in the NFL season. Smith was hired by the Falcons on Wednesday.

VanGorder agreed to a three-year deal at USC last month, but had not yet signed a contract, USC spokesman Russ McKinney said.

Attempts to reach VanGorder for comment today were unsuccessful.

VanGorder's wife and school-age children had remained at the family's home near the Falcons' complex in Flowery Branch, Ga. VanGorder said previously he did not plan on selling his house on Lake Lanier

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Yall crack me up.:biggrin: Don't get me wrong. I think our new coach BP is a great choice but he did leave Atlanta before the season ended to assure him self a chance of getting the Arkansas job. He made the move because it was best for him and his family. Same thing reported by EJ since S Carolina is his wife and his home. I don't blame him and hope he is happy coaching under Spurrier. We will get somebody else as good or better and who ever that coach may be, he will leave and fans of that school will be saying the same thing, and then the domino effect will start and the beat goes on...............

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
it is kind of ironic that van gorder was coaching def for the falcons under petrino, then petrino left for arkansas and van gorder went to usc, then van gorder went back to the falcons and petrino loses johnson to usc.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Anybody heard anything on who the next DC is going to be? Any ideas? It doesn't seem to hurt the oral commitments from our defensive recruits so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts